Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I installed the patch using Windows Explorer, and the printer came alive! I can print, but there is a problem with using the adjusting cartridges service - it causes Windows Explorer to stop functioning. Explorer restarts, but there is no adjusting done. The cleaning service works fine, though. Whta is the problem, and how do I fix it?

HP Recommended

WOW....For months I have been debating whether to trash my HP722C, pawn it or try to sell it on ebay since it would not work with Windows 7.  Now it is working on my desktop and laptop, and incredibly I can now print remotely from the laptop (and the 722C is not even wireless).  All of that is due to the magic worked by Bob_Headrick....I am technically clumsy, and I cannot believe how much time Bob spent with me and how patient he was.  To say he exceeded my expectations...and made my day...is an understatement.  Kudos to the max, man...You are Awesome!

HP Recommended

@Ebenhard wrote:

I installed the patch using Windows Explorer, and the printer came alive! I can print, but there is a problem with using the adjusting cartridges service - it causes Windows Explorer to stop functioning. Explorer restarts, but there is no adjusting done. The cleaning service works fine, though. Whta is the problem, and how do I fix it?

Sorry, I do not have a solution for this one. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@billyb415 wrote:

I have the 722C, but it ts connected to the desktop and my new laptop is the computer with windows 7, trying to connect via wireless network.  The downloads caused the documents to"print to file", not the printer.  Any suggestions?  How can I print on the printer.

Thanks,  Billyb415

Thanks to Don1Carter I have proof this can work :-).  First get networking set up and on the desktop machine share the 722 with a short name like DJ722C.  (To do this right click on the printer, select Printer Properties, Sharing and elect to share the printer. then select s name.  I suggest less than 8 characters and only numbers and letters.)  Next go to the Windows 7 laptop, Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 722C, Printer Properties, Ports, Add Port,  Local Port, New Port, and in the Enter port name box type \\desktop\DJ722C   (use the actual computer name for the desktop machine and the printer share name), OK, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@Ebenhard wrote:

Sorry, I do not have a solution for this one. 

Same problem here. My HP 722c printer prints fine now after installing the patch (Thank you!)  However, i cannot align the print cartridges because it causes explorer.exe to crash.

Is a solution for this being worked on?  (I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)

HP Recommended

@Thundrcrackr wrote:

Same problem here. My HP 722c printer prints fine now after installing the patch (Thank you!)  However, i cannot align the print cartridges because it causes explorer.exe to crash.

Is a solution for this being worked on?  (I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) 

Sorry, I do not have a good solution.  One possibility would be to run a virtual XP machine, either using XP mode or VMWare Player and do the alignment from there.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi Bob.

I'm trying to get my 710C to work on Windows 7 64 with a USB-Parallel cable. At first, under Devices and Printers, it had IEE-1284 controller with an exclamation mark and no sign of my printer. After reading this entire thread I have:

1. Found a Windows 7 driver for my USB-Parallel cable and installed this.

2. Followed your instructions on downloading the new patch.

The results are more promising in that the PC recognises the printer now but I still can't print anything and I still have an exclamation mark next to the printer icon in Devices and Printers. The Print Status says "Error 1 Document In Queue". The document just waits in the queue and nothing happens.

The port is set up as USB001. I've tried switching it to USB000 and LPT1 but it makes no difference. The odd thing is that when I restart the PC and I get to the point where I choose my Windows log in user account icon, the printer comes to life and prints what was held in the queue.

In Device Manager it shows 'Other Devices' with 2 unknown devices shown underneath it. Both of these have exclamation marks next to them.

When I right click my PC icon (in Devices and Printers) and choose Troubleshoot it comes up "The driver for Unknown device is not installed. Install the latest driver for this device." If I choose 'Apply this fix' it attempts to install the latest driver and then I get a message pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that says the "device driver software was not successfully installed". The Devices and Printers window then says "Unknown device doesn't have a driver".

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Here's my experience so far since I originallly posted the question about how to get my 722C to work with Windows 7.  I followed advice on which cable to buy, installed the patch, and got it to work.  It frequently stopped working.  Either it would print part of a page or print nothing. I had to try various sequences of deleting the document, unplugging the USB cable, turning off the printer, hibernating the computer to get it back to working.  I never have figured out exactly which sequence of actions does the job.  I think it sometimes requires leaving the cable unplugged through various periods of use and hibernation of the computer. 

Luckily, I also have a 5510 printer which works well except that with Windows 7 it sometimes fails to print and then it only prints the page if I restart the computer.

Anyway, what I have found is that printing from the web seems to be what causes the problem.  If I print everything from the web to the 5510, the 722C seems to work fine for documents residing on my computer.  However, when I unplug the laptop to use it as a standalone device, I have to try the various sequences of actions to get the 722C back to working.

HP Recommended

@bel_ami_boy wrote:

Hi Bob.

I'm trying to get my 710C to work on Windows 7 64 with a USB-Parallel cable. At first, under Devices and Printers, it had IEE-1284 controller with an exclamation mark and no sign of my printer. After reading this entire thread I have:

1. Found a Windows 7 driver for my USB-Parallel cable and installed this.

2. Followed your instructions on downloading the new patch.

The results are more promising in that the PC recognises the printer now but I still can't print anything and I still have an exclamation mark next to the printer icon in Devices and Printers. The Print Status says "Error 1 Document In Queue". The document just waits in the queue and nothing happens.

The port is set up as USB001. I've tried switching it to USB000 and LPT1 but it makes no difference. The odd thing is that when I restart the PC and I get to the point where I choose my Windows log in user account icon, the printer comes to life and prints what was held in the queue.

In Device Manager it shows 'Other Devices' with 2 unknown devices shown underneath it. Both of these have exclamation marks next to them.

When I right click my PC icon (in Devices and Printers) and choose Troubleshoot it comes up "The driver for Unknown device is not installed. Install the latest driver for this device." If I choose 'Apply this fix' it attempts to install the latest driver and then I get a message pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that says the "device driver software was not successfully installed". The Devices and Printers window then says "Unknown device doesn't have a driver".

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The document being stuck in the queue would indicate that the communication is not working between the printer and PC.  Check the port settings in the documentation for your usb-parallel cable.  Some converters use a virtual LPt2: or LPt3:.

Check to make sure the driver you have for the converter supports the x64 version of Windows 7.

The converters in these threads have been confirmed by users to work with Windows 7 x64.

You may be able to clear the queue by running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply Bob. I had already changed the port settings but this didn't make any difference. After reading your post I've decided to buy one of the cables recommended in your link that others have confirmed does work with Windows 7 x64. My parallel-USB cable was purchased from a Hong Kong eBay seller about 3 years ago. It didn't come with any documentation and my only clue as to who the manufacturer might have been, was to look at the CD with the drivers on. When the new cable arrives from Amazon I'll follow the steps in your thread and see how I get on. I will post back in due course. Many thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.