Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried what you said. I also bought a new wire confirmed to work with my printer...no luck. I need to fiddle around a little more but I'm about to just call it quits and buy a newer printer instead. Did you get the wire yet? Any other suggestions?

-Erik

HP Recommended

@thecorinthian wrote:

I tried what you said. I also bought a new wire confirmed to work with my printer...no luck. I need to fiddle around a little more but I'm about to just call it quits and buy a newer printer instead. Did you get the wire yet? Any other suggestions?

-Erik

The shipping from HK to my location is typically a couple weeks, I am still waiting.  What model converter did you replace it with?  What port are you using now?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I used a Dynex DX-UBPC wire and tried both USB and LPT ports. Not working. I just didn't restart my pc and try to reinstall everything. Although, I tried to go into control panel to remove the original driver, and am not able to. I am using Win 7 64 bit. Is there any other way to erase the driver completely?

HP Recommended

Awesome work, my 710c lives again!

Paul 

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for this fix!  I spent a number of hours before I found your solution and you saved me countless hours of frustrating trial and error that likely would have ended in either my laptop or my printer getting thrown from the office window.

HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 64Bit and I was looking for a solution to get my HP 722C to work.  I followed your directions, downloaded the patch, did the thing with the spooler, and made sure it is connected to the right port (I am using a parallel to USB adapter).  Initially, everything seemed to work.  However, I soon leanred that the printer would randomly stop printing in the middle of the page.  It will correctly print one or two pages, but then suddenly just stop in the middle of a printing run.  Clearly, there is still some kind of glitch somewhere.  I couldn't find anything else on these forums about this specific issue.  Do you have any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@sellyourstocks wrote:

I have Windows 7 64Bit and I was looking for a solution to get my HP 722C to work.  I followed your directions, downloaded the patch, did the thing with the spooler, and made sure it is connected to the right port (I am using a parallel to USB adapter).  Initially, everything seemed to work.  However, I soon leanred that the printer would randomly stop printing in the middle of the page.  It will correctly print one or two pages, but then suddenly just stop in the middle of a printing run.  Clearly, there is still some kind of glitch somewhere.  I couldn't find anything else on these forums about this specific issue.  Do you have any suggestions?

The most likley suspect is the usb-parallel converter.  You might check the settings in device manager and/or the power profiles and make sure that power saving on the USB ports are not enabled.  Also what is the model of the usb-parallel converter?  The models here have been reported by users to work in Windows 7 x64.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@thecorinthian wrote:

The diagnotic tool tells me it's unable to connect to my selected printer, the 720c, in the "connectivity" step. I've followed the instructions for rebooting both pc and printer, with no change. The port assignment is USB001.

I look through the forum and tried all the approaches. I read that some have an issue with there usb-parallel cable. I just bought a no-name cable for the printer, but it was automatically installed by windows 7 and under "devices and printers" it states that the cable itself is working properly. 

I bought the no-name cable from HK, so is it just not compatible with Windows 7? I bought it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230664088782&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

Why is my computer detecting it anyway then? I should ad that the product included a driver disk, but I don't see anything windows 7 related on it. Please advise. 

I bought one of these and it arrived over the weekend.  Windows 7 did automatically install the cable driver but I could not make it work.  USB001 is the correct port, but print jobs sent just disappear after about one second without any sign.  I also tested with XP in a virtual machine with the same results.  (I was unable to load the drivers, it appears my mini-disc was defective but in both Windows 7 and XP plug-n-play installed drivers for the cable.) I guess I am out $2.47 :-).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I already got rid of the printer. I even got another usb-parallel wire that was supposed to work, but that didn't work either, so I got fed up and just got rid of it. I'm not even sure where the minicd is anymore. I remember looking through it though and not seeing any windows 7 drivers. I'm sorry you lost the 2.47, I would have told you it wasn't worth it.

HP Recommended

Bob, Regarding your comment "You might check the settings in device manager and/or the power profiles and make sure that power saving on the USB ports are not enabled."

Exactly how do I find the settings for USB port power saving on my Windows 7 computer? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.