Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

What Netgear router model is this?  If it is a few years old it may be defective.  Do you have another router to use for testing?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Router is new - 2 months old.  AT&T provided the router.  

HP Recommended

NetGear DGN2250 ADSL-2+ Gateway w/802.11n WiFi

HP Recommended

Since all your other Wifi devices stay connected, I suspect a defective WiFi adapter in the printer.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with my HP 7520 connected to a Netgear Rangemax WPN824v2 router.  I also did all the things HP recommended (using WPA2 - AES, reserving a fixed IP, using channel 11, and made sure there was a strong signal).  When I start the printer up, everything (printing, web page) works just fine, but then after about 2 minutes the connection drops.

In reply to the last post, I too thought that there may be a problem with the wi-fi adapter on the printer.  So, I actually took the printer back and got a new one.  SAME PROBLEM. 

Still looking for a solution.

HP Recommended

Both of those Netgear routers are pretty old.  They could be defective or need new firmware.

Do you have another router to try for testing purposes?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

how can it be defective if all my other devices - 4 laptops, Wii, Xbox,  3 iPhones.  all connect without dropping the signal?

I think it is an HP problem, but would love to be proven wrong

HP Recommended

Connecting to the Internet is different than connecting between devices on a network, so just because devices can connect to the Internet does not prove the router does no have inter-device issues.

You can go into the router settings and make sure that Multicasting is enabled.

Do all 4 laptops lose connection with the printer?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

yes all the laptops lose connection with the printer.  

I will check Multi-casting when I get home this evening - thanks

HP Recommended

I fixed the problem by purchasing a new router (I chose the Linksys E2500 router which sold for $79).  I used the standard setup wizard for both the router and the printer and voila, it just works.

By the way, the problem has nothing to do with the computers you are trying to print from, this is strickly a compatibility issue between the printer and the router.

It is unfortunate that neither HP nor Netgear could come up with either a diagnostic or a document that says a certain standard or firmware version is required to make the connection work.  So, I still have no idea WHY the old router didn't work with the printer.

Anyway, I am happy that I don't have to spend any more time on this! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.