Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I cut off the most important thing above:  Thank you to all of you who posted your findings here to help the rest of us.

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon.  Wifi dropped!!

HP Recommended
Thanks for trying xray...try calling the hp help desk. Their number is 1-800-pound sand if you are a customer.

I have a solution...I am going to have my daughter film a youtube video in which I actually find a good use for this printer. TARGET PRACTICE for my 12 gage with 00 buckshot and slugs. It's a rather expensive target, but it is useless now anyway. I'll be sure to post the link to this thread so anyone who watches can see how hp treats loyal customers.

I have 2 hp laptops and have always had hp printers but no more. As a business owner, I understand that things don't work out sometimes, but we at least try to make them right or refund money/recall defective equipment. This is no different than stealing money with some kind of flim flam scheme.

Shame on you hp. Shame shame shame on you.
HP Recommended

On a more constructive note I have a theory and someone should consider it at HP. When you open the printer's (ews) page go to the last tab on the right <settings> and click it. This information will appear:

Auto-Off Settings

Note: If you are using the Auto-Off feature, the printer will not be able to print any documents (including documents sent using ePrint) or process any other jobs (such as faxes or scheduled deliveries, if your printer supports these options) after the printer has turned off. These jobs can only be printed after the printer has been turned on again.

Auto-Off feature will work only if printer is in Idle mode.

Read the note very carefully and think about how your printer behaves in relation to your network. Sound familiar? I have tried all the fixes listed in other posts and also tried all of the settings offered here with the auto off and the printer still behaves exactly like the note copied here describes.

To summarize my theory, I think that this function has an issue and does not disable when you select <disable auto off> and HP either can't figure it out or doesn't want to. It really is disappointing. The printer is too slick in design to behave like an Edsel.
HP Recommended

Problem solved!

Returned the printer to the shop (John Lewis - no questions asked) and bought an Epson.

It does what it says on the tin and prints!!

Result

HP Recommended

This problem has been driving me utterly batty. My router is the Linksys E4200 with firmware 1.0.05, the most recent. Please help! The school year has already started for my 3 teens - need this printer to work!

HP Recommended

Just a note. I was very frustrated about not getting the printer to stay online (connected to wifi). I was to the point of buying another modem/router to replace the one provided by Frontier.  Before I went and spent more money I tried something else first.  I hooked up my old router to the one provided by Frontier and ran the printer through that one.  It has been 2 weeks and connection has not been dropped once (knock on wood).  Since this is currently working, I am not going to purchase any other equipment at this time.

HP Recommended

Here's the solution - found it under another discussion...

Turning off Universal Plug and Play on the printer definitely fixed the problem. I couldn't go more than 45 minutes without a "reboot/crash/network drop" - whatever was happening. I have now gone over 3 hours. Definitely fixed. SO....

Everybody - turn off your UPnP (under Networking on the Network tab of the printer web page).

HP - fix the real problem - this is just a work around!

Thanks everybody for pursuing this for so long! I get to sleep through the night tonight!

HP Recommended

Wow, I sure hope this works.   I will try it later tonight or tomorrow.    So simple for something that has been a problem for so long now.

Thank you

HP Recommended

That's it!  This actually worked.  I turned off the Universal Plug and Play and gave the printer a static IP.  I have been able to put the sleep back on at 15 minutes and for the past two weeks+ we have not once lost connection.  Printer wakes up on demand and connects to the network.

@rcrang wrote:

Here's the solution - found it under another discussion...

Turning off Universal Plug and Play on the printer definitely fixed the problem. I couldn't go more than 45 minutes without a "reboot/crash/network drop" - whatever was happening. I have now gone over 3 hours. Definitely fixed. SO....

Everybody - turn off your UPnP (under Networking on the Network tab of the printer web page).

HP - fix the real problem - this is just a work around!

Thanks everybody for pursuing this for so long! I get to sleep through the night tonight!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.