Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi SuperSaint, 

Did you just recently change cartridges or remove and re-install them?

Are you using new OEM or remanufactured cartridges?

Have you tried installing a new set of cartridges?

Lets check to see if the carriage can move freely. Follow the steps below to see if you can manually move the carriage.  

1. With the product turned on, open the front access cover. The carriage might try to move into the access area. If so, allow the carriage to move to that position. 

With the product turned on, unplug the power cord from the back of the product.
    Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

WARNING:To eliminate the risk of electrical shock, you must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and to reset the paper feed mechanism.

2. Check for any paper or objects that might be stopping the carriage.

CAUTION:If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If pieces of paper remain in the product, more paper jams can occur.

3. Reach inside the product through the paper output tray, and then manually move the carriage.

Figure 2: Manually move the carriage
    Manually move the carriage

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks again for trying to help.

I've taken the ink cartridges out and put them back in; the resume light and black ink light are now flashing with the power light on green.

Having looked in the manual, this refers to something called the "ink service module" being nearly full - where is this, can I clean it / empty it and if not are they expensive?

Thanks again - really appreciate your time

HP Recommended

Hi SuperSaint, 

Where you successfully able to move the print carriage from left to right with the printer powered off?

If this is related to a ink service station being full you will need to call our technical support at 800-474-6836 to setup a service for the printer. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Out of warranty support options

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi, yes, I was able to move the carriage without it being powered on.

Looks like it may be an expensive repair 😞

thanks again for your replies

HP Recommended

Hi warringtonsaint, 

I noticed that resetting the printer last time helped resolve the issues for you. Have you tried resetting it again?

Please remove the cartridges from the printer, and then double check there is no small pieces of paper located in the printer. Turn the printer off for 1 to 2 minutes, and then turn it back on.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

i have an hp printer that wont print.  the light continues to flash. the computer says "printing is enabled" and this printer is chosen and i,ve turned it off and on and removed the cartridges but nothing works.

HP Recommended

Hi highclere,

Follow the steps in the document below, and let me know what you find out?

Blinking Lights

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I had  the rapid flashing lights, carrier was stuck, followed your instructions and works fine now. FYI  am using real HP ink.

HP Recommended

hp deskjet 460 printer lights nearest to the ON button is flashing constantly, won't print 

HP Recommended

I changed the cartridges, I looked for a paper jam, I did what was suggested.  Taking out the cartridges, shutting off the printer.  Restarting the printer.  I see no paper in the printer at all. 

The little black tray has broken off at the bottom.  But I have put it back it as best I can. 

The printer is still not letting the yellow light to stop flashing. 

I like this printer to travel with as it is small and compact. 

Please help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.