Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Every time I try to print something wirelessly from my HP Pavilion 15-n271ea Laptop (Windows 8.1) to my HP Deskjet 2540, I get the message that the printer is offline and the document won't print. When I use the HP Print and Scan Doctor, the only solution that works is reinstalling the printer software, which is a pain in the ass to have to do every time you want to print something.

Has anybody else had this problem and been able to find a permanent solution that doesn't require reinstalling the software every time?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Juda_Plasma,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I am sorry to hear that you have to uninstall and install the Deskjet 2540 to allow it ability to print. I was able to locate a couple other steps you could check to help resolve this issue.

In this HP document: 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8 try Solution four, five, six, seven, eight & nine. Let me know the out come from the steps are, also you do not need to continue if the issue resolves after a solution.

Thank you for posting. Smiley Happy

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

None of these steps solved the problem - the printer still shows up as being offline.

HP Recommended

Looking a little bit more into this for you I found this YouTube video:

It is not showing Windows 8.1, but it will still have the same steps to try. When asked to click "Start" go to the tile screen of Windows 8.1 and type the application name asked to go to.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the video, although since my last post I'm beginning to suspect that the issue may be connectivity related after all, even though, initially, connectivity checks didn't flag up any issues. I moved my router closer to the printer and (so far!) it seems to be working okay (I had tried this before and it didn't make any difference, but there may have been some other conflicting issue at the time). I'll continue to monitor the situation and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear, at least at this time, the issue appears to be resolved.

Cheers, 🙂

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues It does this both when trying to connect wireless and when connected through usb. it also will not print footers

HP Recommended

Hi there rocket104 ,

Have you tried the steps offered here: 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8?

If so, let me know the results of the Print and Scan Dr. and other steps offered.

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
  • Rest the printer where you can wirelessly print through the disk you got. After run the disk again and set it up so you can use it without a usb.
  • After that is done it should always be online
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.