Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I cannot find a Windows 7 64-bit driver for my Laserjet 1012. Has anyone else had any luck?

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Look at this HP forum thread as it will solve what fails for your HP 1012 in Windows 7 (especially take note of threads 3 & 4)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-7-Beta-and-test/Windows-7-x64-RC-Build-7100-and-HP-Laserjet-101...

HP Recommended

Hi,

After several months of wrestling with Windows 7 64 bit support for my trusty HP Laserjet 1012 I have found an effective solution.

Buy a replacement Brother hl-2270dw laser printer!

Let's see, HP has made it totally clear that there will be no LJ1012 Windows 7 driver support.  Although the printer is just fine it keeps giving the dreaded "unsupported personality" error when it's buffer fills up once or twice a day.

Well, I agree as far as HP is concerned.  I am an unsupported personality.  No way am I buying HP toner at around $50 or more a pop for something that doesn't work.  Now I can proudly say I am an HP free household.

The cost, <$100 bucks for the printer including a new cartridge (excluding sales tax).

The upside, I have a new upgraded WIFI enabled printer with Consumer Reports recommendations, no more constant irritations or the need to associate HP with impolite language and crude sexual suggestions.

So I have a much improved home office environment, a lower cost printing solution that actually works, and an energy friendly and technologically superior solution that doesn't piss me off every day.  And the satisfaction that I'm not giving any more money to the HP eco-system.

As for my trusty Laserjet 1012, I can recycle that with a friend or relative that still uses Windows XP and some recommendations about acceptable quality HP compatible cartridges so that  HP doesn't profit.

So, go for it guys, and if anyone from HP is reading this, perhaps you should let the dumb-ass product managers know so that they know one small impact of their myopic decision. It wasn't about numbers on a spreadsheet, it was about brand credibility. With such decisions, falls the House of Printers.  As for the rest of HP, we'll see. The world is changing and it seems to be falling behind.  Has anyone checked out their cloud strategy in any depth?

V

HP Recommended

Yes - their cloud strategy is terrible (IBM has them in a stranglehold) and my trusty 1012 no longer works too with the Win7... Good thing these cartridges are easy to refill too and I will be giving this one to a family member that can still use it...

HP Recommended

The LaserJet 1015 x64 printer driver that ships with Windows 7 works just fine with the 1012.  Install it explicity with "Add A Printer", it won't be detected by plugging in the printer.

HP Recommended

Hope I'm not guilty of hijacking this thread, but.... 

What about us 32-bit Win7 people who have the venerable HP1012?  What should we use for a workaround driver solution?  Would I follow the same basic steps as outlined all over the net for "Add Printer", chose local port, hit DOT4_### etc.?

Got this nice new computer and a nasty surprise!

Thanks, hope someone can get me working again.

H

HP Recommended

The settings on my windows 7 have two possible printers: one just says HP laserjet 1015, the other is HP laserjet 1015 HB. None of those worked for my 1012 printer. Did you change any of the settings?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Win 7 X64 works with my Trusty HP Laserjet 1012.

From Start/Devices and Printers.

Choose add a printer.

Had to use Windows update at the bottom of the install printer driver window because the HP Laserjet 1015 was not on the list of HP printers. But after the update there it was "HP Laserjet 1015".

I did the intstall and it is working on my Win7 x64 machine and Office 2010. By the way, I chose Generic IEEE 1284.4 as the printer port (See comment below)

If you look on the HP website, they show the most recent drivers only for Vista x64 but the drivers are for the HP Laserjet 1010, 1012, 1015. So 1015 drivers will work but I did the install through Windows add printer as stated earlier in this thread and seems Win7 offers support for this legacy printer.

Comment:

Oddly the HP HP Laserjet 1012 also shows in unspecified devices on the Devices and printers page and did so before I installed the printer...I could not delete it but right clicking and Running Troubleshout gave me the choice to fix it saying "The driver for Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support is not installed. Install the latest driver for the device." I believe chosing Apply this fix would have made it work. I am hoping on reboot it dissapears from unspecified. I will repost later 

HP Recommended

Well, I am stumped.

Running trouble shoot was not able to fix the problem.

Rebooting and the Laserjet 1012 is still in the unspecified devices (and also in the installed printers!)

I cannot delete it from unspecified but the printer is working.

Perhaps the problem was that the printer was connected to the USB and turned on when I ran the install printer.

For others, try adding the printer driver first before connecting and turning on the printer.

Would be interested if other have the same problem or know how to remove the printer from unspecified devices.

HP Recommended

Following up to my HP 1012 install in Win7 x64

big glitch.

When trying to print multiple copies of a of multiple page document from Word 2010 to the 1012,

only one page prints with "Unsupported Personality:  PCL".

So after reboot I can print a single copy of a multiple page document but changing the print quantity to more than one generates the "Unsupported Personality: PCL".

I think I is a driver problem. Will do more research later.

Anyone have suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.