Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it is impossible to connect to a standalone router or taking it to a different network.

You had stated though that the printer goes in to power saving, so I am going to print something now and see whether it loses connection after exactly 1 hour after printing, or if it is purely 1 hour after I turn the printer on, that is something I have not yet determined.

I just wish there was a way to turn this power saving feature off so that I can disable it and test out the theory I have!.

HP Recommended

Hi TENEmployee,

Try the steps in the following document below, and let me know if this helps?

Auto-Off Delay Time is Too Short

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

The Auto-Off Delay Time isn't enabled at all.

I've also tried enabling the auto-off feature via the web interface, however this creates another problem.  When I go to turn on the printer after it supposedly has turned off, I have to turn it off and back on again in order for it to print again.  When I turn it on the first time, it makes no noise at all, whereas the second time it does.

I've asked a more experienced IT person to check whether there is a session timeout setting on the wireless router, however I have not heard anything so I assume he did not find any such setting.

I guess I'll just have to keep turning it on and off manually, whenever I want to print something.  Quite a nuisance to be honest, but I do appreciate that you've tried to help.

Still hoping for a solution, but very doubtful at this point.  Might just have to resort to buying a USB extension lead so I can connect it up.

HP Recommended
Hi TENEmployee,

Not sure what else we can try as you have already updated the firmware to the lastest version. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. They can take a look at your system with your approval to see if there is a setting which may help the issue. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://goo.gl/kQDB
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks "pcwizard",

I think I'll just hunt around for a USB extension cable, and buy one to hook it up that way.

Thank you very much for trying to help.  Hopefully all this discussion will come in handy for others who have this printer.

HP Recommended

Hi TENEmployee,

Thank you for the update. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am also having trouble with wireless connection.  I was able to connect through wireless, but after power recycle of the printer, I lost connection. It happened few times. Last week I upgraded firmware, but it did not help. I used the HP printer diagnosis software too, but no result. It was showing everything is okay.

I printed configuration page and found that after power recycle, its IP addr changes to 169.254.36.249. The root cause of the problem is that printer is loosing it's setting if power is turned off. Can you please help?

HP Recommended

Today I tried to connect P1102w printer with my old XP laptop over wireless using the latest software available at HP website. If you select to configure it over wireless (instead of USB), it gives you two options, a) search on network b) manually give IP.

The printer default IP is 169.254.36.249, while alll the home networks are 192.168.x.x, how can it search over the network? I tried with IP and MAC id also, but it was not able to search.

The reason is that untill the printer is on wireless network with all the right credentials, it can not be searched.

In my opinion, if we can access and change printer network settings using USB, its configuration will be very easy.

HP Recommended

My Solution:

I changed the wireless security setting on my wifi router to use "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" instead of "WPA2-PSK".

I guess the printer has a problem with the newer version of WPA2.

Now it continues to be available even after it goes into powersave mode.

Try it - YMMV.  It took a stroke of luck and 12 months of frustration to figure this out.

HP Recommended

Kadmiral, when I first got the P1102w laser last year it took five calls to tech support to finally get it to work as a wireless printer.

After hooking up a new router from Time Warner Cable, your guidence let me do it myself on the first try.

Thank you for making me feel smart.

{Private Information Removed}

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.