Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unable to print, copy or scan. Have powers unit off and on many times.

Each time a print job is sent to the printer, 49 Service Error appears and the printer reboots.

Moved from Printers - LaserJet to Multifunction and All-in-One

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended
Since you do not give us much information, let start with a one basic question. If you disconnect the printer from the computer or network, turn it on and try to do a copy, does it work or give the 49 error. If no error, then reconnect and tell us how it is connected and try to do a copy again. If still no error try to print a test page from the driver on the computer and let us know. Also it would be nice to know your operating system and any other items if you have a network. Many times it is just a print job (usually adobe) which may be corrupt causing the 49 error and until the job is deleted it will continue to try and print causing a 49 error.
HP Recommended

We have a client with an HP Laserjet Pro 400 colour MFP m475dw that developed a 49 service error.  We disconnected it from the network, powered if off, and worked with HP phone support with no resolution.  We happen to have the identical printer in our office, so we swapped them out.  Again, even with the new printer we got the same error, we took the clients printer back to our office and it worked if.  Two printers, 40 service error at one location but not the other. Any ideas?

HP Recommended
Should be obvious. There is a corrupt job that tries to print each time the printer is turned on. Easy to test. Change the ip address of the printer but you may have to do it with the printer not connected to the network. Once the address has been change, load the printer on one of the computers as a local tcp/ip printer and try to print a test page. If it works you know that somewhere on the network is a computer or server trying to send a job to the original ip address and the job is corrupt and you need to have it deleted.
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm having the same problem despite the fact that the printer is disconnected from the network including all USB ports and I had it unplugged from the mains for at least 10 minutes at a time several times. Once it is powered up it goes back to its loop of re-booting itself and displaying "49 Service Error" "Turn off and then on" - it does it continuously until it is switched off.

PLEASE HELP!!! 

HP Recommended

Perform an NVRAM reset, clear all print jobs and then try again.

NVRAM Reset for HP Color LaserJet m375/m475:

1. Turn printer off

2. Touch and hold the right arrow and the cancel button

3. Turn the printer on

4. Release the buttons when the message "Permanent Storage Initialization" appears

5. Reconfigure your printer

49 service errors normally mean that there was a bad print job sent to the printer.  The printer did not know how to handle the problem and waits for user interaction to clear the job.  For us this normally happens when printing PDF documents.  We can normally work around that problem by enabling the Print as Image feature from within the PDF settings. 

On that note, normally finding the job on the print server and deleting it followed by a reboot of the printer will clear the error message.  If your 49 error is appearing on the screen while not connected to anything and rebooting then that means the job has moved onto the local memory of the printer.  This is where the NVRAM reset should help to clean up any corruption.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I had an administrator M475dw with Service error 49. We cleared his print queue, did an NVRAM reset and the problem was solved. (I also showed him the "Print as image" setting in Adobe).

I have two other M475dw that are initializing over and over with Service Error 49. They ignore the buttons to reset NVRAM.

They won't stay online long enough to accept a press of the cancel button (trying to clear a bad job).

These two users cannot use their printers. They turn them off because the constant scanner initialization is annoying.

This is not your regular Service error 49. Normally clearing the print queue(s) and reset NVRAM does the job.

I'm considering replacing the formatter on one of the problem units to see if I can get a fix.

Any input would be welcome.

HP Recommended
Lets make this real simple. If you disconnect from the network or computer and turn the unit on, does it come to ready and can you print information pages from the menu on the printer. If you can, then there is a bad job someplace trying to print. What I usually do is reset the network on the printer to dhcp and have it find a new ip address not being used. I then connect the printer with the new ip address as a local tcp/ip printer to one computer on the network. I then see if I can print without error to the printer. 99% of the time I can print ok and eventually the customer finds one computer that was not cleared or has printq issues causing the error on the printer.
HP Recommended

Ok I have notice the issues is occuring when attempting to print a PDF over the network.  MS Word Document are Printing.. also has anyone notice the problem when the Toner is getting low but not indicating Change?

Is this a Network Issue? with PDF's taking longer to prepare to print due to the File format? 

Thanks

Wnation2004

HP Recommended

Unlike you, as soon as we get power to the printer we get the Error 49.  We can't do anything. We have deleted it out of every computer on our network and can't even reinstall it now, because they can't see the printer.  It sounds like it wants to boot up, but as soon as it goes thru have the boot set up, we get the error 49.  If we leave it to see what happens, it just continues to cycle the error 49

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.