Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Same here.... OfficeJet 4500 G510-n Wireless, less than a year old.  Has 267 prints on it since purchased in August 2011.  Replaced original "trial" cartridge with a 901 XL.  After a month with XL cartridge and about 50 prints.. I get "Cartridge is empty or refilled" and "Incompatible Cartridge" errors.  With the 901XL being a high capacity cartridge... there's no way its empty after only 50 prints.  NO WAY!  NO WAY!   Printer will do alignment prints without any issues, on the "supposedly" empty cartridge, but will not let me print anything. Really annoying and frustrating.  I did all the trouble shooting myself, and it still took HP phone support  over an hour to agree to send me a replacement.

Found quite a few complaints with HP products mysteriously quit working or recognizing legitimate ink cartridges... and outright refusing to work with refills...   this OfficeJet 4500 is the LAST HP product to ever enter my household.   PCs, Notebooks, Tablets, Printers.... you name it... if its HP.. its not getting a second look from this guy.

HP Recommended

I broke down and purchased a new printer. NOT an HP.  I was disgusted to find out that I would have to pay to speek to tech support to attempt to fix this issue for an out of warranty device. I am fairly confident that I will never own another HP product!!!!!!

Thanks HP for not standing behind your product!!

HP Recommended

i have hp 4500 nor wark carrtreg

HP Recommended

all my brother brok your  hp printar this is  **bleep** printr  price 120€ hp 4500 did only 50 pag 

always problam carrting  did only 50 pag  price i think 120€  this is **bleep**  prodact

we link brother printar did 4000 pag one carrtig

and xerox ig good printer smal carrtig did 2000 pag larg 4000 

HP Recommended

brok your print  buy brother printar or xerox  it is good printar hp is  "**bleep**" prodact  hp4500 did ony 50 pag always problam carrteg       xerox and brother printar smal crrteg did 2000 pag larg did 4000 it is lisar printar  

HP Recommended

I am finally able to print both black and color on my HP 4500.  BUT, the solution is ridiculous.  Even though my color ink cartridge showed 3/4 full when I installed a new black ink cartridge.  Printer wouldn't print, with error mentioned previously.

I finally broke down and bought a new HP color cartridge, and the printer is now working fine (knock on wood).  I am tempted to take out the new color cartridge and re-insert the old color one and see if it will print.  But, I'm afraid if I take out the new one, and have to put the new one back in (cuz the old one won't work)...that the error message situation will be repeated.

Sure feel like I wasted $29!!!

HP Recommended

Same as others - purchased new black ink cartridge 901XL used a few times - now stating printer cartridge troubleshoot refer to documentation - help -

HP Recommended

on the screen of the printer it says Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot

HP Recommended

I having the same issue here, "Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation" use lightly for about three month. I had tried called techincal support before that, less than a month when i bought it. They managed to solved the problem by asking me to reset the printer, network, reinstalled the printer software. Now, the problem, came back. As I said, I used it lightly, until now only printed less than 50 pages and scanned less than 30 pages. 

I did some search on the internet for solutions. When I print out the "Printer Status Report", it showed "Total Pages Printed: 211 and Pages Scanned : 138 Color Ink level still almost fuli ; Black Cartridge almost empty.

What does it means? Has it been used prior to my new purchase? Can I get the printer replaced?

HP Recommended

Good luck.... I ended up just buying a new NON HP printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.