Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I bought this Officejet 6500 Wireless printer on 3/20/2010. It started making a horrendeous squeaking noise whenever it's printing for the last week or so.

The cartrages are new and as far as I can tell it only makes the squeaking noise when it's printing, but I am unable to narrow it down to either the rollers or the printhead.

Printer model is Officejet 6500 Wireless - E709n, connected wirelessly to a Windows 7 machine. The problem occurs even when trying to print a test page from the printer itself.

I did a search for "squeaking" and all I found were unanswered posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@CharlesA wrote:

Hello,

I bought this Officejet 6500 Wireless printer on 3/20/2010. It started making a horrendeous squeaking noise whenever it's printing for the last week or so.

The cartrages are new and as far as I can tell it only makes the squeaking noise when it's printing, but I am unable to narrow it down to either the rollers or the printhead.

Printer model is Officejet 6500 Wireless - E709n, connected wirelessly to a Windows 7 machine. The problem occurs even when trying to print a test page from the printer itself.

I did a search for "squeaking" and all I found were unanswered posts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

My printer is only about 9 months, and this squeaking sound is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

HP Recommended

The only thing I can really suggest is cleaning the rollers.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5148025_clean-hp-printer-rollers.html

Worked for me.

HP Recommended

Why are there no answers to this question?   I am experiencing the same problem.   If 'support' cannot be provided (i.e., answering this simple question), I will be disinclined to buy another HP printer product.   

PLEASE answer the question as to how to fix this problem.   Thank you.,

HP Recommended

I have the same printer and it is squealing like a wounded piece of heavy machinery. It clearly needs to be oiled or greased somewhere, but Hewlett-Packard sure isn't forthcoming with any advice about where or how one might safely lubricate this beast.

I used to think that HP was one of the very best companies in the world. I own 4 of their printers and have owned 7 of their computers over the last 30 years, going back to an HP 150-II, my first desk top computer, and before that, several of their programmable calculators.

But as this thread shows, HP is now routinely throwing customers to the wolves when it comes to maintaining and repairing office equipment. I seriously doubt that I will be buying any more HP products. They are no longer built to last and they are no longer built to be repaired or maintained either.

HP Recommended

As previously mentioned it could either be the printhead carriage or the rollers. To differentiate if it is the printhead carriage or the rollers, do around 5-10 blank page copies. This process will force the printer to feed paper and then release it since there is nothing to print. If it is making the same noise then it is the rollers. If it did not make the noise then it is the printhead carriage (during printing).

If you are still in warranty I would suggest to call tech support to have it troubleshot and a possible unit replacement. In other forum posts they have placed lubricants on the carriage rod where the printhead is riding on. For some people it worked and some not. Its not something I could recommend since that rod is pre-lubricated from the factory plus I dont how it will affect the printer's internal parts.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

My HP Officejet 6500 makes the same squeaking noise when printing.  HP has already replaced it once under warranty and now (3 months later) the replacemnet unit is sqeaking worse that the first.

HP needs to recall these printers.

I should have bought a Canon printer but now I am stuck with this poorly engineered product!

Please post a reply if anyone has solved the problem since HP isn't concerned about it.

HP Recommended

I had thought that Hewlett-Packard's race to the bottom of the quality swamp would end when Carly Fiorina got her walking papers.

Sadly, (suggestions that customers seek warranty service on a three year old printers notwithstanding) it is clear that HP cares nothing for their customer's experience.

What would help is a  PRODUCT MANUAL

containing a MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE,

and including a  CLEAR, WELL LABELED LINE DRAWING,

indicating APPROPRIATE LUBRICATION POINTS,

specifying a TYPE, WEIGHT and GRADE  and preferably a NAME BRAND and PRODUCT NUMBER

for an appropriate lubricant.

HP Recommended

this string of messages is sad.  we too have a loudly squeaking printer which is not surprising given the amount of time it runs back and forth after each print job. 

the 6500 ran thru so much color ink (less than 20 print jobs) that we have changed the printing to black only!  the 6500 is a disaster.  hopefully, whoever designed the 6500  no longer makes hp products. 

please hp - recall these things (which one of your salesmen told me you no longer make because of all its defects) and give us a model that works!!!!!!!

we too hope to find a printer from some other manufacturer since hp seems to be in a death spiral with its management and products.  recommendations would be appreciated.

{:(

ps - hp's problems can be summarized by its spellcheck for these posts which i just ran.  hp's spell check does not recognize "officejet" and suggests officiate instead.  i guess the product is so bad that hp refuses to offically recognize it?

HP Recommended

It seems to be the rollers on my printer.  What type of lubrication and what are the lubrication points.  This sucker is brand new and it has been doing it for a month since I bought it.

Sincerely,

lcriv

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.