Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Photosmart 5520. I can print FROM my computer just fine, but can't scan from the printer TO my computer. Message is "Connection Error." This happens sometimes, but usually I can fix by turning everything off, disconnecting, and starting over. Today nothing works. This is getting tiresome. Printing works fine.  BTW, I do not control the router & can't just turn it on and off. I am not technologically savvy; I just want the thing to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The scan to computer is disabled by default (I don't know why the software girls/guys desinged that way). On my machine, driver for Windows 8 is much better (even same exe file). Please enable it using the following steps (please note: for Windows machines)

Double click printer icon on desktop,

Click Manage Scan to Computer,

Click Enable

You may want to tick the last square too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi,

The scan to computer is disabled by default (I don't know why the software girls/guys desinged that way). On my machine, driver for Windows 8 is much better (even same exe file). Please enable it using the following steps (please note: for Windows machines)

Click Enable

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The Reply says:

Re: HP Photosmart 5520. Can't scan to my computer [ New ]

Hi,

Click Enable

WHICH sounds simple enought BUT I DON'T HAVE A PRINTER ICON ON MY DESKTOP AND NOTHING ELSE I TRY SEEMS O WORK!  SUGGESTIONS??

HP Recommended

Hey Lroe,

I see you are having an issue trying to scan with your HP printer.  This thread is about the HP Photosmart 5520, do you also have this model printer?

What is the Operating System of the computer you are trying to use with your HP printer?

How is the printer connected to this PC? (USB, Ethernet, Wireless)

Do you have the full feature software installed on your computer for this printer?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Want-Good-Answers-Ask-Good-Questions/td-p/2094

I will need more information to be able to best assist.

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Vista connection wireless I think it is installed fully
HP Recommended

Hi komet,

I see that you're having problems scanning.  I have a couple of questions for you.

What printer do you have?

Do you get any type of error message?

HP Recommended
I have a photosmart 5520 the message says it can not find the computer and on print it is the same now and then but in the end usually prints
HP Recommended
Hi I have not heard back as yet, always get a error message that scanner can find computer sometimes the same on print but it will usually print in the end after a wait of up two a minute is this normal ?
HP Recommended

I have an HP 5520 printer and a Mac OS X. I have enabled 'Enable Scan to Computer' but the spinner keeps going indefinitely.

Also, when I setup the photo to scan in the printer, it displays 'No computer found'.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Ian27,

I understand that you are having an issue using the scan to computer feature with your Mac and Photo smart 5520. I would like to help you with this but first I do have a couple of questions.

1. What version of Mac OS X are you running?

This can be found by clicking on the "Apple" icon and selecting "About this Mac".

2. How is your printer connected to your Mac?

I will check back in so that I can further assist you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.