Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Have HP 5520 and a Mac OS X can't scan to computer on wireless connection.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I used Hp Support and they tried to fix this problem via remote access, but the only way the scanner will work on mine is if the wireless direct in in unprotected mode.

The printer has all the recent updates.

My operating system is windows 7 with all updates

Can the information that I scan or print be accessed by anyone else with a wireless device?

How can I get it to work in protected mode?

HP Recommended

The "Manage Scan to Computer" is not available in the software. I'm running Windows 8.1. Is it possible that when I upgraded to 8.1 that this feature is somehow disabled?

HP Recommended

Hi.

I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1.1 (64 bit).  I can print to my 5520 (connected by USB).  Also, I can initiate a scan from my desktop PC to the USB 5520.  However, when I go to the 5520 scanner (printer) and press scan to comupter, the device scans, then I get the following error...

Connection Error

The computer is not responding. Check if the USB cable attached or wireless working properly, then try again.

Maybe I have some sort of permissioning issue on my desktop?  What folder does is scan to (Documents?) and what account needs what permissions to that folder?

[Note that the location of my Documents folder has been set to my d:\users\xxx drive to save space on my SSD c: drive]

Strangely, I can wirelessly scan to my laptop (also now Windows 8.1.1), so I think the printer/scanner is fine.

Thanks.

RowanB.

HP Recommended

I too get an error message when trying to scan from the printer display -- it used to work fine but now says "computer not found."  I can scan from the computer TO the printer but I prefer to be able to just hit the "scan" icon on the printer display.  I have an Officejet Pro 8600 plus with a wireless connection.  PROBLEM: having reviewed your previously posted solutions, when I double-click the printer icon on my desktop, I DO NOT GET A "manage scan to computer" command or anything like it.  I've explored every window that pops up in the software for both the printer and the scanner.  That command NEVER  APPEARS ANYWHERE.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with Windows 8.1.  Also, had it with Windows 8.0 before I upgraded.  Did you find a solution?

I know I can work around it by initiating the scan from the Desktop, but would like the convenience of starting it form the printer screen.

HP Recommended

Hi Greg.  No answer.  I don't think anyone from HP monitors this forum.  I still have to scan from the desktop, but can't do it from the scanner.

HP Recommended

I have had this problem for five years, and I have an HP Laptop!  How can an HP Laptop NOT communicate with an HP printer?  Every time I replug in the printer, it takes 3-5 minutes to REINSTALL the printer hardware and then after all that, it does not see the computer to scan!!!  How can that be???  Never buying HP printer again!  I have heard great things about Canon printers--maybe my HP laptop will communicate better with it (opposites attract, right?)

HP Recommended

When I finally find scan, it scans as a jpg and I can't figure it out how to get it to Word 2013 to do some editing. Can someone please help. Windows 8.1 is driving me mad!

HP Recommended

I used to be able to scan from my printer with no problem when I went into devices and printers on Window 7. Since I upgraded to Windows 10(big mistake) i cannot do this - what steps do I have to take to correct this ?

Peter Levesconte

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.