Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I made an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 and my HP Scanjet 4300C seems to be well installed in Windows 7, but nothing happens when I try to scan.

In Control Panel the Scanner seems to be working, but when I try to add a scanning profile I get the error "failed to initioalize the selected scanner". The scanner testing button is also disabled and the scanner does not appear in "My Computer" as a scanning device.

I think there may be an updated driver to solve this problem? The scanner was working in Windows XP just fine.

Hope you can help me.

Tnx 😉

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks to this post I figured out how to get the scanner software and driver installed and working on Windows 7 32 bit.

Here are the directions:

1. If your scanner is connected to your computer (USB) uninstall it using the device manager, be sure to check the box that says "delete the driver." And, unplug the USB when it is uninstalled.  When I did this had never installed the software previously in my Win 7 operating system.

2. Download the sj657 installer packaged from HP. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN
Extract it to a folder.  If you double click on the downloaded file it will try to open the setup file automatically and you will get a message saying the software only works on Windows 98, etc.  Just cancel and go to the folder (Default location is C:sj657) and continue with the next step.

3. Select the "setup" app and right click on it to get properties, change the compatibility to XP (I did service pack 2). Then run the it and click "OK" on any warnings from Windows 7.

4. Go to the Hewlett-Packard folder now in your Program Files directory, there will be a "HP Precisionscan" folder. It will be the only one unless you have other HP products. Open the Precisionscan LTX folder and change all apps to XP compatibility.  I also checked the administrator check box on each app (there are several) just in case.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Plug in your scanner via USB and let it in install.  Windows 7 should give you a notice that your 4300C was installed successfully.

The scanner will now work using the LTX software installed on your computer. The buttons on the front do not appear to work, nor can you do anything with it by going to "scanners and cameras" in your control panel. BUT otherwise, it seems to work great and all the functionality is there in the LTX software.

My old 4300C (I bought this probably close to ten years ago) is in some ways better than a newer scanner I bought last year.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

cordini,

Here's a post by dylan65 Scanjet 4300
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&message.id=4621

I'm using the scanjet 4300c successfully in windows 7 64bit.

Download "windows xp mode" from ms. XP mode only works with professional and ultimate versions not home premium. This emulates windows xp 32bit in windows 7. The download is about 500mb and you'll need about 1gb free hdd space.(link)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Hope this helps

Regards,

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
HP Recommended

Thanks to this post I figured out how to get the scanner software and driver installed and working on Windows 7 32 bit.

Here are the directions:

1. If your scanner is connected to your computer (USB) uninstall it using the device manager, be sure to check the box that says "delete the driver." And, unplug the USB when it is uninstalled.  When I did this had never installed the software previously in my Win 7 operating system.

2. Download the sj657 installer packaged from HP. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN
Extract it to a folder.  If you double click on the downloaded file it will try to open the setup file automatically and you will get a message saying the software only works on Windows 98, etc.  Just cancel and go to the folder (Default location is C:sj657) and continue with the next step.

3. Select the "setup" app and right click on it to get properties, change the compatibility to XP (I did service pack 2). Then run the it and click "OK" on any warnings from Windows 7.

4. Go to the Hewlett-Packard folder now in your Program Files directory, there will be a "HP Precisionscan" folder. It will be the only one unless you have other HP products. Open the Precisionscan LTX folder and change all apps to XP compatibility.  I also checked the administrator check box on each app (there are several) just in case.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Plug in your scanner via USB and let it in install.  Windows 7 should give you a notice that your 4300C was installed successfully.

The scanner will now work using the LTX software installed on your computer. The buttons on the front do not appear to work, nor can you do anything with it by going to "scanners and cameras" in your control panel. BUT otherwise, it seems to work great and all the functionality is there in the LTX software.

My old 4300C (I bought this probably close to ten years ago) is in some ways better than a newer scanner I bought last year.

HP Recommended

Hallo,

I have a similar problem with installation of hp 4300 scanner  to a completely new computer with W7 32bit. Could you please advise me how to install software and  driver? It worked properly on my last computer with Windows XP but the CD is not accepted by Window 7.

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. Did eveythng like you indicated, got all messages as you indicated, except that I have very little functionality. I can only scan unformatted text and bmp. Whatever format I select, it always chooses one of these modes. Any clue?

HP Recommended

What do we do if we only have Windows 7 Home Premium?  I have an hp4300c also?  i tried another suggestion (dnload sj657 software, but this doesn't seem to work for me??

HP Recommended

Here's a link that shows which scanners are supported on Windows 7. Unfortunately, the 4300c is not on that list.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/scanjet.html

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

You wonder why they would do this to people? It isn't like I had an option when I bought my new HP laptop that I could of upgraded.

Kudos to HP for building a product that would out live so many operating systems. I guess the fix for me is to keep on Windows XP box just for the hardware that won't quit!

Thanks for all the help scandroid. It saved me quite a bit of time!

HP Recommended

HP is really biting the big one. I found a 4300c in a second had store for $7.50. Iwas using XP Pro, but bought 2 Dells one lab top with 64bit and a tower with 32 bit. The scanner is the best one I have ever had, it was brand new never used. Tractor belt was off and I but it in place and Walla. HP will not beat me on this programing for Windows 7. They think they can make use buy new equipment when the older version is better, well no way guys. Their web site is a mess, can't get to the company for support, and I will go back to XP if I have to. Window's 7 blows anyway, I don't like the way it works, and an not impressed at all. They also have tried to make it so that there is no freeware from their updates, everything goes to repair and scan programs that tell you that 19 drivers are out of date, and pay $49.95 to repair, then they run spyware in with the programs. What ever happened to web sites that were free, and really useful to us, the net is going down hill fast.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.