Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@shawnwhaley wrote:

I have an important update regarding the fix to this solution. I'll try to keep it simple.

This problem frustrated me for two years. In my previous posts I explained how the issue was that all devices on my home network (Mac and PC) seemed to lose the connection to the printer when the printer entered sleep mode. I could not ping the address. It did not matter whether the printer had a dynamic or static IP address. As soon as the printer went into power saving, nothing could communicate. Waking the printer did not help. Only a reboot of the printer solved the issue. 

Last weekend I replaced my wireless router and the issue is solved.

Now, this is the 4th (yes, fourth) router I have had since owning my printer. The previous makes were Netgear, D-Link, and Belkin (I'll provide models if anyone is interested). I just swapped out for a TrendNet AC1750 and without any further fuss, my problem has vanished.

I'm not suggesting that you are having the same issue, or that upgrading your router will fix your issue. In fact, the printer is still using a wireless N connection over the 2.4 GHz spectrum. My wireless config has not changed.

My best calculated guess is that my 3 previous routers were releasing the IP address of the printer from their ARP Cache as soon as the printer entered power saving mode. I had suspecting that is what was happening. But, none of those routers had advanced features that allowed me to check the ARP Cache or assign IP based on Mac address. In fact, my new router doesn't have these feature (most home routers don't). But, I suspect it has better software with advanced ARP. 

So, again, I can't prove any of this. But my background in network administration leads me to believe this is the case.

My suggestion to anyone struggling with this issue: Before you buy a new wireless router, check to see if your router can assign IP address based on MAC address. If so, find your printer's MAC address and enter it into your router's settings. I know that may be over many people's heads, but a little Googling will help. 

If your router does not support that, check this website to see if you can download an open source firmware for your router: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Read everything carefully if you go down that road. 

Lastly, try a new router, or a new printer. If you're like me, you hate spending more money on the off chance it will fix your issue. All I can suggest is that you find a store with a good return policy. This is a frustrating issue. Even with a good bit of knowledge about these things it took me two years to find my solution.

I got a new router and my problems went away. Of course it had to be the most expensive home use router out there, and cost nearly as much as the printer, but it worked. Thanks to Shawnwhaley and the trend net AC1750 router. Three hours on the phone with HP support did not achieve this.

HP Recommended
I spent 3 hours on phone with HP trying to resolve the sleep issue. While the technician assured me it was fixed, it still slept. I bought a trendnet AC1750 as Shawnwhaley had suggested. The printer now wakes and prints when a document is sent to it. The AC1750 seems to be a high end home router, but it worked.
HP Recommended

This appears to work.

I am curious whether the folks who have reported the problem power off their computers, rather than leaving them on 24/7. I power mine off when down. I wonder if that makes a difference somewhere.

Regardless, as an HP stockholder is is very dissatisfying the company to be this unresponsive; and not coming up with a firmware fix to disable the sleep mode.

HP Recommended
I tried powering my pc down. A different pc. Static ip address on the printer. I think my wifi box was somewhat outdated so I bought one that reportedly worked. I have a wifi capable tv that would not work with my old router but is able to get netflix with the new wifi router. The printer has been sleeping for days but wakes up when I print. The printed work looks nice. I don't have a read on tye ink usage. I am still using the breakin ink. 🙂
HP Recommended

just wondering if anyone in the printer development group knows of these problems and is working on them? i've an 8500 pro and it works perfectly. my sister has an 8600 pro with the symptoms in this thread (once it sleeps wi-fi computers cannot access).

i would think the firmwares in the printer would be nearly identical.

for me the relevant computers are all over the map: iphone/ipad, macbook pro (two of them), windows 7.

none of these fixes work (except reboot the printer). wired works, usb works, just not wi-fi.

the fact that it works for the 8500 and not the 8600 says that the ultimate solution is 1) better testing by hp, and 2) firmware update by hp. has anyone inside hp even attempted to replicate the problem? it seems easily reproduced...

my 8500 pro has bit the dust, and i really liked it otherwise. the 8600 seems a poor choice right now, as i cannot trust that if i buy it and bring it home that it will work.

HP Recommended

let's review the bidding:

there are several systems at work here:

1) wifi hardware in the printer

2) bonjour (mdns) service discovery (hp calls it network rediscovery port monitor)

3) dhcp vs. static address

4) routers

5) host computers

nobody has talked about bonjour, but it is used by the printer to tell others where the printer is, the address, port number, etc. it does this by periodically broadcasting a packet with the name of the printer, the fact of it being a printer, and the current address and port number of the printer "listener" (the part of the printer that detects jobs and reads the file to be printed).

if the bonjour broadcast packets go missing or the responses to same, the printer will appear offline (to all bonjour clients).

if you add a tcp port for the printer in windows print manager (or the mac), then you can get by without bonjour. to do that you need a fixed ip address (either dhcp wired or from the static range).

iphones and ipads use bonjour only, however.

routers and firewalls are common culprits when broadcast packets go awry. for firewalls we're talking about anti-virus / system protection programs as well as built-in firewalls in windows and mac.

i don't have a solution involving this, just a heads up on a possible path for investigation. bonjour operates on udp port 5353.

scott out

HP Recommended

It would appear that the advice given by edkvill on 7/30/13 is correct. I have tested his workout for the past week and the printer sleeps and wakes flawlessly.

YMMV - Jeff

HP Recommended

Jeff -

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I appreciate the feedback. It's good to know that the solution works in another network environment.

Ed Kivell

www.facebook.com/resourcewiz

HP Recommended

One more thing to http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-do-I-enable-keep-alive-on-HP-Office...

The hardware involved includes a Netgear NETGEAR N600 Router WNDR3400, Dell desktop running Windows 7, two MacBook Pro laptops and a MacBook Air.

HP Recommended

I have HP Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a, HPG72 laptop, running Win7, that worked fine when I was using a Verizon Droid phone as a hotspot. When I recently switched to using a Verizon JetPak 4G though, it has started having the same problem as the rest of you are having, plus the on/off button won't work. You have to unplug the cord to re-set it, then you get a message saying it was shutdown improperly! I, too, am already tired of this, especially since I had been so happy with it before.  I don't have the option of changing routers as I live in the middle of nowhere and the Jetpak is my 'lifeline' to the internet. HELP!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.