Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 21 (41,178 Views)

How to connect wireless printer after changing modem/router

I have the HP Deskjet 3000 and i just got a new modem and router and I can't figure out how to connect my printer. Somebody help please!

Provost
Message 2 of 21 (41,173 Views)

Re: How to connect wireless printer after changing modem/router

It would help to know what operating system and router.  Nevertheless, let's try this:

If Windows, go to Control Panel > Printers and delete all instances of thsi printer.

Next, go to Start > All Programs > HP > [your printer model] > Add a Device.  Follow the instructions.  Make sure a USB cable is NOT connected when you start this process.  The software will ask you to connect a USB cable during the re-installation. 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 21 (38,760 Views)

[ Edited ]

How about on a Mac computer with a new Verizon 'D-Link' router? I've tried for a while now, after installing the software CD again and trying to run the install steps, but it can never find my device: HP Photosmart C4780. I have the USB cord but it still does not connect. 

Thanks

Provost
Message 4 of 21 (38,750 Views)

What version of OS X?

I am employed by HP

Honor Student
Message 5 of 21 (38,747 Views)

Provost
Message 6 of 21 (38,728 Views)

Before you start, restart your router by pulling its power plug momentarily.  Also, on the front of the printer go to Setup [Scan] > Wireless > Restore Defaults.

Next do not use the CD (never use them if you can help it), download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

Make sure the printer is NOT connected by USB when you start this process.  Eventually the software will ask you to plug in a USB cable temporarily.  Do not do so until the software asks you to do so.

I am employed by HP

Honor Student
Message 7 of 21 (38,703 Views)

I did all that you told me, and even so, when I finally do get to the step in the installing software where I am prompted to find the device I want, and to then plug in the USB, it still does not find the device. Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 8.24.19 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-07-03 at 8.25.40 PM.png

Provost
Message 8 of 21 (38,606 Views)

I would guess that your new router does not support Bonjour, which your Mac needs to install and use the printer.  Have you contacted Verizon about it?

I am employed by HP

Student
Message 9 of 21 (35,699 Views)

i had a new Telstra modem installed and now printer HP 6520 does not work  

Provost
Message 10 of 21 (35,694 Views)

Replacing your wireless router try here.

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!

Printer Hint #1 - Always buy a printer with a display panel for easy configuration.
Printer Hint #2 - Always buy a printer with separate black and separate color cartridges.
Printer Hint #3 - Always buy a wireless printer with an Ethernet port for backup.
Special Note: There is a 97.2% (increasing) chance the information you seek is in the User Guide/Manual.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation