Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I scan a document into my computer? The instruction book does not go into detail. 

Thank you.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi mlekc01,

I understnad you have a Deskjet 2540 and are wanting to know how to scan with it. I would be happy to guide you in this.

Without knowing which operating system you're running on your computer, I will have to link you to the page where you can select which operating system you're working with.

You can see which version of Windows or Mac you are using by clicking on either of those links and then you can click on this How to Scan: Deskjet 2540 page to select the operating system you're using.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Directions for scanning a document using Windows 7 with HP 2540 printer.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi lhbf,

Thanks for the response!

You can use this How to Scan: Windows 7 document to walk you through scanning with and without the HP software within Windows 7.

Hope this helps, let me know how this works for you Smiley Happy

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

HOw do I scan a document with HP Deskjet 2540. 

HP Recommended

Hi patchi1,

If you'd like to see how to scan with the Deskjet 2540, just visit this Deskjet 2540: How to Scan page and simply select the document for your operating system 🙂 If you don't know which operating system you're using, try using What's My OS? to find out.

Hope this helps!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

That's helpful.  Thanks.  lhbf

HP Recommended

Indeed, spent a lot of time to find the way out!

Windows 8: go into settings - control panel - harware & sounds - view devices and printers - RIGHT CLICK  on HP deskjet 2540 (best if it is linked with USB port to your computer) - start scan

Mac OS 10: go into users - your name - library - Printers - HP Deskjet 2540 series - scanner

In all cases, better to create a shortcut / put an image of the printer in your toolbox. As well as to update your computer's software...

Hope it will work for you

HP Recommended

how do I scan on 2540?  Gone to link provided in forum but no options are given where it states choose option below- very frustrating and shouldn't be this fiddly - I'm working on Windows 7

HP Recommended

thanks for the info - shame HP couldnt just do that!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.