Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP PhotoSmart C7250 All-in-one that has the error:

Ink System Failure

Ink system has failed.  Unable to copy, receive faxes. or print.  Refer to printer documentation.  Error 0xc18a0206. Turn power off, then on again.

I have not been able to locate this error in any manual or on the HP web site.  I have found similar ones involving different printers/cartridges.

I have tried several scenarios of powering the printer off, unplugging the power and removing the cartridges, but nothing works.  I have noticed that the cartridges have dates that are in the past.  Before I go out and purchase a new set of print cartridges I would like to know if that is a possible solution to the problem.  They are all new (just opened the package) but over a year past the date marked on them.  I don't want to buy a full set of cartridges if I am going to have to replace the printer (who knows what cartridges a new printer will take).  After all, with the cost of the cartridges, it would be a good chunk of the cost of a new unit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there!

I made a collection of solution for this issue a few months back. It has helped resolved a lot of ink system failures upto this date. You might want to check it out.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74
HP Recommended

How old are the cartrdiges?  Ink for models with permanant printheads (like the C7250) expire because with age they thicken and can clog up the system, see here for information.

The thread here has a few possibilities you should try (I would start with the suggestion from Ciara_B).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, however I have tried the Ciara B printer reset.  I never get the message to Insert Cartridges.  After waiting a day (gave up and went to bed) The next day, I continued on without it but the error never clears.  I guess I could try bringing it in for service, but the last six times I brought something in out of warranty, the advice from the service department is to buy a new one (two notebooks, two desktops, a flat screen and a printer - come to think of it, that's how I got this printer). 

That is why I put in the post.  The printer had gone to college and back with one of my kids.  Since it really did not get used, they brought it home and decided not to take it back.  Since it was sitting here and I needed to make copies, I hooked it up on the network and attempted to use it.  I was unaware of expiration dates on the cartridges.  When I got the error, it was also showing that I needed to replace several cartridges.  There was a sealed pack of cartridges sitting here with it so I opened them up and did a total swap out.  However, the expiration date on the replaced cartridges was still 2010 03/05. 

I was trying to find out if the problem I am facing is due to the expiration dates.  If so, I would go out and buy a new set, however, if I remember right, a complete set costs around $70.00.  That is half the price of a new printer and I don't know that the new printer would even use the same cartridge set.  So before I go to the store and buy new cartridges, I was trying to see if that could be what was causing the error.  If not, it looks like I will be getting a new printer.  It would be nice if the error message actually appeared somewhere to verify what it means.  It actully says to refer to printer documentation.

The computer is a HP m9340f running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.  The printer is a HP Photosmart C7250 All-In-One if that helps.

HP Recommended

Same problem here... I`ve did reset as mentioned but end with no luck... I took the printer to one of printer shop here in indonesia ( not in jakarta but in my place lombok ) they said the cardridge need to be replace but they can`t get the replacemant because the printer was bought from KSA ( Saudi arabia )... any help on how to get the ardridge works?clommo

Clommo at http://clommo.blogspot.com/
HP Recommended

Wow you have described exactly the problem I am having with my photosmart C7250. I have search all over HP web site and I am still unable to find a solution to this error message or someone who has has their problem resolved. My printer cartridges are all new and expires in 06/26/2012. I have come to the conclusion that these " PHOTOSMART PRINTERS " Are just too smart for their own good. Seems as if their is just too much information being process by this printer. My personal solution is to purchase a new printer that does only that " PRINT! color would be nice, It seems tha a dedicated machine for scans, copy. fax. print pictures is the way to go. I would love to hear from one of the HP engineers on this topic. There are too many post on this site with a variety of issues pertaining to this Photosmart instrument....

HP Recommended

I agree - I would love to hear from a HP Engineer on this.  I am in the situation where I am out-of-warranty.  However, I am faced with an error message on the printer that states "Refer to printer documentation" and then gives a specific error number to look up (0xc18a0206).  However, as you have stated, I can't find any place where HP has actually documented the error.  And the people answering my post either have the same problem (like you), or are recommending I follow the Ciara_B remedy which I tried before posting.  Resetting the printer has done nothing for me.

I know there are pay for support options available, however, HP has not even provided documentation for the error,   I know that the printed documentation can't cover everything, but with the Internet, we should be able to access the error code descriptions from their site and not have to pay a fee to be told to go out and get a new printer.  I was simply trying to find out if buying new cartridges solves the problem or as you have suggested, it is time to purchase a new printer.

HP Recommended

Solution to Ink System Failure-Error 0xc18a0206

I had the same problem/error.  I tried this solution and it worked!!

good luck!

Solution 1:
    • Press * and # at the same time
    • Press 1, 2, 3 and “support R0632M” should display
    • Press > and “information menu” should display
    • Press > and “configuration menu” should display
    • Press OK and “hardware failure status” should display
    • Press OK “failure status: clear”. Press OK to clear
    • Press CANCEL
    • Press CANCEL
    • Press CANCEL
    • Turn printer off, unplug power cord for 2 minutes, plug cord back in then turn printer back on.
HP Recommended

I want to put you forward for the Nobel Prize in Printing.

Nothing else worked until I followed your instructions.

How did you possibly find such an answer ?

I am now very :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

I am happy to hear that it worked for you too! 

HP Recommended
You are a genius!!!!!

I take back half the things I said about HP and this printer. LOL It works and the fix was simple!

Ron
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.