Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I wish I had read all the way through this thread to get to the Setup/Tools/Restore Factory Default solution.  That's the only one that worked for me.  

I have the Photosmart C309a so instead of Settings/Tools/Restore Factory Default it's Setup/Tools/Restore Factory Default.

When the issue first arose I was able to scan from the HP Solution Center on the computer instead of from the printer. But restoring the factory default is a much more satisfactory solution.

Thanks for the solution.

HP Recommended

The solution is at the end of the thread.

Settings/Tools/Restore Factory Default or

Setup/Tools/Restore Factory Default

I'm replying to the first message with the hope that this will appear earlier in the thread.

HP Recommended

Ive been going through this for the last year. You can pretend to reinstall it with the disc but not go through the whole process and then it will work.

It will work if you use the HP solution center from the computer but otherwise this thing is a total pain to use, if you want to use the so called feature on the unit itself.

I went through tech support awhile back and we "fixed it" but as soon as you shut down a computer or the printer or change anything it goes back to it's old ways..

As far as resetting factory defaults that will only work until the next time there is a reboot of anything (near as I have seen) but the situation WILL come up again and you have to go through it again. I have setup some defaults that I like but have to totally redo those if I do the reset. Thanks HP

The unit itself works fine but the actual features for scanning mainly is a joke

HP Recommended

Its "SETUP/TOOLS/RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS"

accessible on the printers control panel

I will not buy another HP product again, thier customer service blew it on this one. Does anyone know of a decent printer manuf with good customer service, and printers that actually work as advertised? 

HP Recommended

Every works great on the printer (C310a)  EXCEPT for this.  Going back to default does not work and neither does unplugging for 60 seconds.  I don't often want to scan from the front panel, but this is pretty rediculous.  This should not be difficult.

HP Recommended

What is with the message LCD list needs to be updated?  Can anyone help.

HP Recommended

HP, you should be ashamed of both your support and of your software development team. This thread is 3 pages long and you STILL have not posted a viable solution for this "LCD list needs to be upgraded" problem - what a truly meaningless error message by the way.

This is EXACTLY why I will not support any purchase of HP equipment in my company (and I am at a  level in a large corporation where this absolutely does matter to you). When you get your act together as far as 1) testing your products' supporting software well and 2) caring about supporting your users so that you don't end up with 3 pages of people trying to get an answer, I will start to buy your products again.

HP Recommended

just spent two hours going through what everyone above has.  reboot and other fixes are only temporary.  The only way to scan is from the HP "solution" center.  Scan button on LCD is useless.  from the length of this threat it is clear HP does not care about the problem.  Thanks for the big waste of time HP.  If you have come looking for a solution, save yourself the headache and throw in the towel now and just scan from the computer. 

HP Recommended

I unplugged both ends of the power source for 15 sec, then turned it back on. That got rid of the LCD list upgrade message, but then the printer told me I had to start the scan through my computer. If that is the case, why put an icon on the printer that makes you think you can start the scan there? The copy icon works just fine!

HP Recommended

What is sad is that I found my solution on this page sooner than a call to HP Support could find one! When the support tech came back on line, I suggested he write this down so he wouldn't waste the next person's time!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.