Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a LaserJet Pro 400 M401n connected to a PC running Windows 7. It has worked great for months, but earlier this week I turned on the computer & found that I couldn't print.

The printer appears in the Devices & Printers window, but it's greyed out. If I remove it & reinstall it it becomes available & works great all day. However, if I shut the computer down or reboot it the printer goes back offline. I've tried plugging it into a different USB port but it didn't solve the problem. Also, for some reason I can't delete, or configure,  the port in the printer settings, or add a new port for that matter. I get error messages saying either "selected port cannot be deleted. The request is not supported" or "An error occured during port cofiguration. This operation is not supported.

I'm really stumped on this one.. Does anyone have any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issues, one thing that you may just want to do anyway is check if newer firmware is availible.

Firmware: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5166603...

Additionally for this issue it may be related to a service that may have crashed, that makes sure the device always is a printer as this device has "Smart Install" which allows printer to come up as a Mass storage unit with the software availible. If you go to the Settings > Service > HP Smart Install > select Off. 

Let me know if that helps fix this issue.

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

i get the same problem, but my problem is a little bit different. it works a few hour after installation the it says offline. i install it 3 times but no change. even i format the pc, still the same. i didnt connect the printer cable until it asks me to connect when i install the driver.

so pls pls pls help me. or could u tell me where could i get "Settings > Service > HP Smart Install > select Off." i cant find service and hp smart install.

tnx in advance

HP Recommended

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-and-Digital-Imaging/ct-p/bsc-412

I hope this helps! 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

there is no answer for this problem from HP. it is a BIG SHAME, really SHAME on u HP. i searched for more than 5 months about hp LaserJet Pro 400 M401n appears offline.

sorry...

HP Recommended

I also had similar problems with our M401n model printers going offline sporadically. The recommended firmware upgrade did not help.

The issue was resolved (thanks to a knowlegable HP technician) by disabling the "Smart Install" feature on the printer. As noted earlier in this thread, the disable setting is on the printer itself. The path noted is the menu path on the printer's LCD panel display. You cannot disable this feature from the operatign system of a connected PC.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on multiple printers.  There is no such path on the physical printer that I can find.  Is there REALLY no fix for this? O_O

HP Recommended

Actually, you can find the setting from a PC if you have the IP address of the printer.  Open a browser, put the IP address in the address field and go to HP Smart Install from the first screen.

image2994.png

HP Recommended

No meu caso tb deu certo "Settings > Service > HP Smart Install > select Off."

HP Recommended

Hi everybody!

I´m a kind of  frustrated as  many of you in this forum  Hp is a big   company  with resurses  and  is an ashame  that  it doesn´t gives answers  how to fix this problem.

I wondering if  someone knows   what I can do  to put  my : LaserJet Pro 400 M401n appears as off or offline I have used it only one month!!!

From brand new I installed it  twice and it works some hours  and  it turns  to offline  or paused.

Im not rich to going on and buying new products again and again.

Is there  someone that knows  what  to do??

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.