Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there...

guys the answer is simple like what the HP support mentioned. i actually found the solution by coincidence today and went to search on HP site to approve this solution to my supervisor from HP site and found this article that talked about the same thing.

Go the :

1- Setup Manu

2- Select service

3- select HP Smart Install

4- Turn it Off..

That’s it ! the installation will go very very fast and the printer will stay online. i have tried this today and shut down the PC and the same printer just to simulate the issue before. It fixed 🙂

I can’t believe that i was not aware about that **bleep** thing since 2 months. wow..i have to pass every user now on my organization to apply the same thing lol. you guys at HP got to explain whats the problem with that option.

Cheers

Shadow

IT support

HP Recommended

hi,

I 've the same problem and one more.

Please let me know:

1 - setup menu? where is it?

2 - I cannot see the "HP smart inslall" any more ......

I also cannot install any other HP softwares  to drive the scanner ......  becouse the enormous amount of time ...

How can I solve the problems

Thx

HP Recommended

@ammarch

my dear,,,the setup printer on the printer itself! just use the printer panel ( the samll screen ) and follow the steps above to be able to reach the setting and shut it down/ switch it off.

the instllation time will go faster right after you do that. then youll be able to use the scanner.

regards,

Shadow out

IT

HP Recommended
On the printer there is a small screen touch device. On that screen go to Settings > Service > HP Smart Install > select Off.
Also in device manager under "universal bus controller" right click on "Usb root hubs" (at the bottom in the list) select properties > click 'power management' tab > deselect "allow computer to power off this device to save power"

Repeat this for all usb root hub

Smile ! your problem is solved
HP Recommended

I also had the same issue.  Host computer (Win 7 32 bit) connected to Laserjet Pro 400 m401n (monochrome) by USB.  Client computer  (Win 7 64 bit) connected to printer through host computer via closed network.  Both Host and Client computers reboot each morning.  Printer always shows online on Host but offline on Client after reboot.  Deleting and reinstalling printer on Client would solve the problem until the computer reboots, then the printer returns to offline.

I was constantly deleting/reinstalling on both computers; I updated the firmware to the printer; called HP support, Tier 2 who reinstalled the drivers to the "correct versions."  No change as printer went offline on Client after reboot.  I could not find the "Smart Install" in/on the printer menu anywhere.  This model printer must be limited and there is another that has a larger, detached menu screen.

Solution for me:  I used the HP Laserjet Pro 400 installation CD on the Client computer and installed the software (minus the pork like Bing Bar...).  Even though I could not connect to the target printer, the installer found another Pro 400 on the network which completed the installation.  I reinstalled the target printer to the Client computer and for the last 5 days, there have been no further issues after reboot; it remains up and running.  (Originally, the software disk was used on the Host computer.)

Hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended

When you installed it, did you use the installation cd?  I had the same problem with a Client pc on a network and installing the cd software solved it for me.  That plus updating the firmware and getting the latest HP universal driver.

HP Recommended

There is no such heirarchy on my MFP M476 - this solution won't work for this model.

I'm getting an error that "Printer HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M476 PCL cannot be contacted over the network."

However, other computers in my network can print to the printer.  Help!!??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.