Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Office Jet 4500 series printer that I cannot get back online.  I have a Windows 8 Operating System.  I have gone into Control Panel, found my printer, and it's status shows printer offline.  I have right clicked the printer icon to maybe get the option to set the printer back online, but the option to get the printer back online does not appear.  Therefore, I can't get my printer back online so that I may print again.  PLEASE HELP!

Charles Davis

HP Recommended

For me, after getting the same message and panicing, it turned out I was forgetting my #1 "fix-it" solution:

I turned everything off, walked away for a little (optional, I guess), re-booted, everything came back, the printer was back

online, and there was peace in the world (yeah, right...maybe in MINE for a while).  It's a good idea, in my opinion, to re-boot

once in a while if you keep it on 24/7; it's like a little shot of adrenalin (works with TV cable boxes, too.  I'm not running

Windows 8, yet, and I don't know anything about Mac$$$$.

1-re-boot

2-uninstall and re-install printer software

3-compatible- conflict with Windows 8??  (doubtful, but in the old days what worked for 98-second version would often

have compatibiliity-issues-with XP, hardware included, but I believe by now that's no longer an issue)

3 1/2-make sure your queue has only one (or none) item to print listed

Double-check your printer in Device Manager; are thy still using that little yellow triangle with a "!" inside in 8?

Good luck; the re-boot worked for me which is why HP pretends I work for them...please "let me know, I ain't no pro" (maybe just a crappy poet).

My ONLY issue now (everything else is thumbs-up on 4 computers (introduced to my 1st in 1997, now I'm an addict) is my cursor; I click it into, and it often goes 1 space to the left, but I'm adapting...not losing sleep over it...  I'm using my Gateway laptop with peripheral USB-mouse, keyboard and HDMI 27" ViewSonic monitor...getting ready to try my 4 sets of surround sound speakers because I miss a sub-woofer).

By the way...how do you like Windows 8?  You can reply, if you're willing, to scottydscATyahooDOTcom (the "disguise" is a craigslist habit).  Windows 8 (not touch-screen) is in my future.  No problems with Window 7, but...

Sorry I'm so "talky"; just got up and writing helps me focus and really wake up.  Thank you.

--Scott in Flowery Branch, GA

HP Recommended

I do not have a "use printer online" option. 

HP Recommended

START SIMPLE!!!  After you're done yelling at your hardware, pulling your hair out and panicing (trust me, I did all that

thiking of my Tool Kit...a SLEDGE HAMMER...probably followed by remorse), I tried my #1 repair rule, as in

"K.I.S.S.":   i turned everything off (sometimes just the printer, but rebooting everything-router, modem, computer, printer,  

etc., is like a carwash) and walked away for a while.  Settled down, rebooted everything, and my HP Deskjet F335 (a relic

but it works well) apologized.  May work, may not, so the other choices are uninstalling/reinstalling the software for that

model, or see if your drivers are up-to-date (Control Panel, Hardware, etc.).  Almost Christmas; might work!!!--Scotty

HP Recommended

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

I have an HP8COB9C (HP Photosmart D110 series):

From Control Panel Home:

Network and Internet  Main Heading (not subheadings)

Network and Sharing Center Main Heading (not subheadings)

advanced sharing center:

Change Sharing Options for different network profiles

Turn on Network Discovery

(check)Turn on Automatic setup network connected devices

Turn on file and printer sharing

Ta-da!

Kimmr

HP Recommended

I tried the recommendation to right click the Icon, but it did nothing, what else can I try?

HP Recommended

What worked for me was: I turned everything off (maybe only the printer) and rebooted.  Everything came on, INCLUDING THE PRINTER, which  apologized and I've had no problem since then.  Or uninstall and reinstall the printer software.  Then beat the crap out of it with a hammer.

HP Recommended

12-10-2013 11:57 AM

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

I have an HP8COB9C (HP Photosmart D110 series):

From Control Panel Home:

Network and Internet  Main Heading (not subheadings)

Network and Sharing Center Main Heading (not subheadings)

advanced sharing center:

Change Sharing Options for different network profiles

Turn on Network Discovery

(check)Turn on Automatic setup network connected devices

Turn on file and printer sharing

Ta-da!

Kimmr

If that didn't work:

I have also tried rebooting the printer and re-entering the password in the printer menu (not from your computer). That has worked 2X before for me.

HP Recommended

When it happened to me, the 1st thing I did (after panicing, which never works (my 89-year-old uncle sits and stares at his hoping mojo will solve the problem).  Uninstall/reinstall printer software.  Hit it with a hammer.  Or use my unpatented tool kit: WD-40, duct-tape, super-glue...Scotty

HP Recommended

hi,

please help me to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Abid

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.