Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This is also happening to me and is very frustrating. I am relying on this printer for my business. 

I've tried all of the peices of advice given and nothing works. The website tells me they have no information on the warranty, so does this mean I just need to get a whole new printer?  

I have looked on the website for a phone number but end up just going round in circles. Would really appreciate some help from HP.

HP Recommended

I have tried all the suggested solutions with no change - still no black ink being printed.

I am now getting emails from HP requesting whether the proposed solutions have worked - I have already posted that nothing did. I find these emails just add to my frustration.

HP Recommended

@Beeeck2

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Photosmart 5520. I understand that it is not printing in black, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Check the estimated ink levels.
  • Make sure that the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly.
  • Clean the printhead.

Click here to refer the document and perform these steps.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers!

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I got this solution from youtube: - link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f57jOGj-G5s

This solved my black ink printing problem without the need to take the printer to bits - takes only 5 minutes and requires nothing more than paper towels and dish washing liquid mixed with water.

Many thanks to Marcin Błaczkowski for his wonderful solution.

Happy New Year to all

Brian

@DWP2000 wrote:

@bmux Brian -- There was nothing that could be done from a parts perspective so, after discussing with HP Support, I went with a replacement printer. 

I found one YouTube video where someone went through great lengths to remove the printer heads and clean them.  I was not willing to invest the time and effort to do so but you may want to do a quick review there if you try that option.  I tried one of the easier suggestions on YouTube but it did not work.

If I get the time, I might tear the old printer apart and see if I can figure out any other options as I do not want to ditch a relatively new All-in-One.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20  I've done these things - afraid none of them work. Just replaced the ink cartidges as they were low from so much printhead cleaning and still I get the same thing.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the link provided was of no use.  I did not install an HP print cartridge, (Office Depot that compares to the HP 564 XL.  I will buy an HP cartridge tomorrow and retry this time stealing, freaking aggrivating, costly process.  I have been messing around for two days with this....OVER IT.  I will post back if the HP Cartridge is the savior.  If not...one to buy another brand.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.