Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

MissTeriLynn,

Thank you for your posts on this topic. They helped me understand that I could, in fact, get a replacement for the printer.

Your efforts to help people with this are laudible, particularly in the face of the fact that the printer appears to be defective and you are doing your best to help people get resolution.

I would also like to give kuddos to Charlene, HP Case Management, HP AMS TCO Escalations Team, who, at the 10 hour mark in my calls to technical support, spent with me yet another hour discussing this matter and ultimately caused a replacement (NOT a 5520) printer to arrive yesterday, concluding a three-day Odyssey of almost-Homeric proportions with HP technical support.

Unfortunately, from my point of view, no one with whom I spoke over the course of 11 total hours had the slightest interest in any suggestions I had for how to improve resolution of this problem or the functioning of technical support in general. And indeed, who would anyone want the opinion of some one who has worked in the industry for nearly four decades? 😉

As they say Down Under, good on ya, MissTeriLynn. You appear to be a true customer representative and provide the best technical support your are allowed to provide. Thank you very much indeed.

HP Recommended
To all who are experiencing this problem, I strongly encourage you to read my posts from 1/6-8 on this thread.

You will see that I had to go to great lengths to get resolution. I was told repeatedly that my printer was not eligible for replacement, even at the beginning of the call with the case manager who ultimately did get me a replacement. I do not know what factors led to the replacement.

Be persistent and do not accept obfuscation. HP tech support is Byzantine, labyrinthine, and obstructionist in the highest degree. If you persist and reference the posts in this thread that state a replacement will be made if troubleshooting fails, you may get satisfaction.

There are definitely helpful and understanding reps in the cadre of support personnel. MissTeriLynn is one of them and her posts are very helpful in this matter.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my 5520....tried 2 different new black ink cartridges @ 26.99 each with no luck.  If I put the almost empty one back in, it works with streaks.  Cleaned the print heads and black ink prints text on the Print Quality Diagnostic page, but box for black ink is empty.  Nothing else will print in black.  Sounds like too much trouble to deal with HP to get a replacement...time vs. money.  Lesson learned, no more HPs for me.  

HP Recommended

Hello,

Per MissTeriLynn's question, I did do all of the steps in the guide, several times.

I've contacted HP Customer Service and they've agreed to send me a replacement 5520, which I am awaiting at this time.  The call was the only one made and judging from other posts here I was an extremely lucky caller as my phone call lasted about 25 minutes and spoke with only two people, second of which was the one who sent out the replacement 5520. HP agreed to send the replacement, but stressed the fact it was because I was a loyal customer not because there was a problem with the 5520.

HP Recommended

MissTerriLynn,

Given the experience that this user had, can you please offer some advice on the best way to approach this situation?  I'm in the U.S.  I've had the same error that all others are experiencing.  I did an internet search of the problem and immediately came across this forum.  I've owned the printer for over a year, so I imagine I'm out of the warranty period.  I have tried the checklist you provided with no improvement.

I'm interested in continuing to use HP products and get this one replaced, but I'm not interested in spending hours and days on the telephone to reach that answer.

Since it seems that the agents are generally unaware (although may be coming more and more aware) of this situation, what can a frustrated user do to get the problem resolved quickly?  Who can Ispeak with?  Is there some type of issue number that Ican provide to reference the appropriate person?  Is there someone or some team I can work with directly to get this resolved and avoid the problems that have been described by other users (being disconnected, being told there was nothing that could be done, requring calling back multiple times to explain the situation again and again).  In other words, something other than starting at the beginning with a general customer service phone number that seems to not be able to help the issue.

What information will be needed when I call?  Model number, obviously.  Serial numbers?  Will I need to have the printer physically in front of me before calling?  Will I be required to attempt what you've already suggested to prove to the representative that I have tried those things? 

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your reply.

@MissTeriLynn wrote:

Wow @GottaBeKidding, I'm almost speechless!

First off, thank you for sharing all of that information with us, I'm disappointed to hear how awful your experience was, and personally I'm sorry you had to deal with that. On the other hand, I'm pleased to hear that you handled things as well as you did and got yourself a resolution in the end 🙂

I can't say I blame you for awaiting the arrival/testing of the replacement before you deem the situation resolved. If there are any further issues, please feel free to private message me with any details you may not want to share on the public forums. If you require troubleshooting help you can certainly reach out to me with that as well, I am happy to help in whatever way I can.

I appreciate that you are keeping your calm and simply working to a resolution to your problem. Regardless of what comes up, let me know and I will have it addressed one way or another 🙂

Thanks again for your time and efforts! My fingers are crossed that there is a light at the end of this super long tunnel for you 😉

HP Recommended

I'm glad that things are working out for majority of you in the end 🙂

To be honest @KevZou the best advice I can give at this time, is that if they won't replace the printer when you call (at this point in time) then let me know and I will do my best to get things resolved or provide the case by case advice to assist in getting things moved forward 🙂

My colleagues and I are here to help, sometimes we just need a heads up that our help is specifically needed. If you call and get any grief, I don't expect anyone to keep calling, but certainly admire and appreciate the perseverance for those that do. Again, just let me know and as quickly as I can, I will do what I can to help 🙂

Hope this helps and that everyone is taking the advice to try the steps and call in if that doesn't work!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My replacement 5520 printer has just arrived by UPS, just a few days after e-mailing my proof-of-purchase (March 2013).

It appears to be brand new, and came with a set of cartridges. It works perfectly - so let's hope it continues to do so.

I note that it was manufactured in 2013, it is to be hoped it wasn't made with the same defect.

I must say that, despite the problem with this 5520, and its predecessor the 5510, and the need to seek the aid of the wonderful Miss Terilynn, the 5520 is the most user-friendly printer I have ever owned, and much easier to use than some of the competitor's models.

In anticipation of some years of trouble-free printing, thank you.

HP Recommended
I'm so glad I found this thread. After reading all these and going through every troubleshoot there is, I called HP Support (US) even though my warranty expired in 2013. I spoke to one person and told them the issue and that I had been told on the Forum that I could receive a replacement even though my printer was out of warranty. I was on hold for 4 minutes while he checked with his supervisor. After he came back he asked me to try a plain black and white copy to check. I did and it didn't work so he told me he would be sending a replacement right away no charge. That was after just 12 minutes total.
HP Recommended
I hit Post too soon.

The whole call was 34 minutes while he set everything up. They are sending a box with a label for us to send the defective printer back. As soon as they receive it our new one will be sent. Should take 8-10 business days as long as everything is shipped on time. Very happy with my experience (as long as everything works). I have a confirmation number and a case number. He said they are sending the same model so I can use all the ink I bought still too.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem ... and with two new HP black cartridges.

BUT, when I saw the potential 'venting' problem that HP talks about I dug a bit deeper and realised that the actual vent is at the top and in the middle of the cartridge. It is served by a shallow wiggly air channel from one end of the cartridge that the label covers on the top.

So I just tore off the entire label from the top of the cartridge to expose the whole channel and the actual vent hole itself and it now prints perfectly.

So in my case it is not the printer, it is a defect or design flaw in the manufacture of the cartridge. The venting system does not work properly!

Hope this stops other people throwing away perfectly good printers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.