Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM.  DID YOU FIND A SOLUTION?

HP Recommended

Looks Like my prior choice to by the HP 5520 printer was a big mistake.    Did a more detailed search and got a Epson WF-4630.

HP Recommended

Hi @rflynn and welcome to the HP Forums!

Sorry to hear your Photosmart 5520 is also having issues printing black, but I will definitely do my best to help you Smiley Happy

Have you tried the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document yet? If not, please do and let me know how things go.

If that document doesn't resolve the issue, can I please know which country you're in and whether the printer is in or out of warranty? Thanks!

Hope to talk to you soon!

mostache.JPG

In support of Movember

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi HP Agent,

I too am in this same boat. My black ink doesnt work and I am finding all the same problems listed in this thread. 

I have read most not all of the thread. However I have not seen anyone mention one other symptom my printer has and that is there is a substantial amount of built/pooled up black ink down and to the right of the printer head.

This is very disturbing since the printer is rarely used and is less than two years old.

Please Help,

HP Recommended

Hi 

I've just spent @£70 on XL cartridges all colours and Black in an effort to sort my black ink issue - its hasn't worked.  My 5520 was bought from Tescos in the UK much less than a year ago and 2 days before a conference it just won't do black despite all tests and driver updates.  I'm on Yosemite Macbook pro with correct drivers.

Can you help please 

HP Recommended

Hi I am having the same problem, has an issue finally been acknowledged? It seems there are a lot of people with the same problem making it higly unlikery to be coincidental.  I have been through the troubleshooting guides. TeriLynn can you help please?

My device is out of warranty.

HP Recommended

Hi ryeguyme, johnbidder, and argggghhh!

Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy

I'd be happy to help all three of you and will do my best to help you get this issue resolved!

@ryeguyme - The best thing to do with the ink in the bottom of the printer is to use a paper towel (or any old rag/sponge you don't really care about) and soak it up with that. Once that is done, I would suggest that you try the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document. If the error persists after those steps, please let me know what country you're in and whether the printer is in or out of warranty, thanks!

@johnbidder - Have you tried the steps in this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document? If not, please do and let me know how things go Smiley Happy

@argggghhh - If you've already tried the steps in the Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document, please let me know what country you're in and whether the printer is in or out of warranty, thank you!

Once I've heard back from each of you we will move forward to get this resolved for you!

mostache.JPG

In support of Movember

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have just spent Over 2 hours trying to get my black ink printing.

Ridiculous. Just like every other 5520 user on this forum.

I have Payroll to process and can't print my spreadsheets.

This is a refurbished printer after my first one was "knocking loudly" 

and having paper feed issues while new. This must be a software related

issue as the black prints on the explanation of the Print Diagnostic page.

Done with HP.  Don't think I have ever been more frustrated with a product.

At least after reading this forum I will not waste any more valuable time trying

to get it to work.

HP Recommended

yes I have tried all of that. I live Indiana and the printer is out of warrenty.

HP Recommended

Hi @HelpIGiveUp,

I'm sorry to hear that you're giving up on your printer, but I would still like to send you a private message to see if there's anything else that can be done to get it fixed and not waste any more of your time! If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

Thank you ryeguyme!

I will be sending you a private message as well 🙂

mostache.JPG

In support of Movember

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.