Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Maybe I was too optimistic.  After the hot water treatment the printer worked perfectly for about an hour, but now it has started again - leaving white streaks across the black text -  BUT it is still printing a perfect "Quality Report" .

I don't understand this at all. 

Anyway, this is what I did :

Emptied paper tray, and put a wad of kitchen paper there.

Removed black ink cartridge, revealing a small circular mesh filter on top of the print-head.

Filled a surgical syringe (without needle) with really hot water, and squirted it on the filter.

Mopped up any remaining water with kitchen paper

Replaced ink cartridge and paper stack

Ran "Clean print-head" tool, then started printing - threw away the first 3 pages which were a bit wet.

HP Recommended

I'm very sorry to here that @BlaneD as there is no reason they can't replace that for you.

I am going to send you a private message to discuss this further.

If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions 🙂

@Blandinehave you tried calling phone support?  I realize the process didn't work for BlaneD, but they should be able to replace it. Once you had a chance to call (this link will have the right number for you) let me know how that went for you 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I also have the exact same problem described by al the others.  I replaced all the ink cartridges in my HP 5520 with genuine HP 564 cartridges and now block does not print.  It was working prior to this but my ink levels were getting low so I put new ones in.  Ink levels are now full but box for black in Quality test print is all white.  I've performed all the prescribed tasks to fix it but nothing helps.  When I put my previous cartidges back, I still get now black.  I've bought a second set of ink thinking I got a bad one but same problem, after $100 in ink. Before you send me the normal procedures for resolving the problem, I've already read the official steps and done them all.

Can you explain to me what exactly is happening since HP is aware of this problem?  Is the printhead clogged up all of a sudden?  Why after installing a new cartidge does it happen?  Is there anyway of unclogging the printhead?

Will HP reimburse me for the ink I've wasted on this?  I'm guessing that my 5520 is older than a year. My serial number is CN25A153N4.  Not sure if I registered it with HP.

What can be done about this?

HP Recommended

I have not called tech support (in France) as you suggested.

Three days after the "very hot water" treatment described in my post of 12-17-14, the printer appears to be functionning perfectly, so I have no cause to demand another. Let's hope it lasts !

In panic I ordered a new one, which should arrive today, so then I will have two Photosmart 5520s.

HP Recommended

Hi @jparkerri and welcome to the HP Forums!

I will recommend that you also call our technical support team and request a replacement. At this time, that shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know how things go for you 🙂

@Blandinefingers crossed it does stay working!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I just got off the phone with support and they are sending a replacement 5520 printer (re-conditioned) that they say should not have this problem again.  Here's hoping.

HP Recommended

Can someone from HP please make contact.  Same problem as all the above and I have spent 5 hours trying all the cleaning and tests imaginable with no joy, oh and spent £30 on new ink which also did not help.  That's 5 hours of my life and £30 i'm never getting back. I would really appreciate someone raising my ever declining Christmas spirit by replacing my just out of warranty, known to be faulty printer. :Crying:

HP Recommended

Hi @Maisie1986,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

Have you tried calling in to our technical support team and requesting a replacement yet?

You may be pleasantly surprised! Let me know how it goes once you've called!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
That worked for us Lynn, thanks!
HP Recommended
I have a similar problem please can you help. Very frustrated.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.