Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
This all in one stops responding when it goes idle after a couple of hours with no use. The only way to bring it back to life is to power cycle it. I have tried resetting to default, assigning static ip and even disable security on my network. Still same problem. The only solution provided by HP support is to power it off when it is not in use. I think that is not a real solution for me. I really regret buying HP Printer. If anyone can help would really appreciate it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
183 REPLIES 183
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One printers go into sleep mode if the printer is idle for more than 30 minutes.If you are connecting to an surge protector, connect the printer directly to an walloutlet and let it stay idle for 30 min and then when the printer goes into sleep mode, try to give an print command and check if the printer comes out of sleep mode and let us know the result.
HP Recommended
I have tried that before. It just does not come out of sleep mode unless i unplug it from the power and replug it.
HP Recommended

This problem has been reported by everybody using 4580.  The Mac guys have figured out a solution (use a static IP address) but it doesn't seem to work for PC.  I am hoping that since HP has recieved untold numbers of calls about his they have to have people working on it.

Will there be a driver update or something soon??  Please keep us updated.   Other PC users with the problem please add a post, if we make alot of noise hopefully they will fix it.    Any PC users with a known fix please let us know.  Good luck to us all, we need to fix unplugging is no phone and we may bump our head on the desk!!!!

HP Recommended

Add me to the list, too.  I got this to take the place of my old PSC-1210, and I have had nothing but issues with the unit since I got it.  I even have problems when it's connected by USB instread of wireless.  The wireless capability is why I bought it in the first place!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the C4580, and HP has even replaced the printer once, convinced that the printer itself was defective.  Replacement printer has same problem.  I am a Mac user, so I am interested in the static IP address workaround mentioned in one post.  Can anyone tell me what the workaround is?

Also - I am defining "power cycling" as unplugging/replugging the unit, because I cannot turn it off with the power switch. 

HP Recommended
Can you tell me the Mac workaround using a static IP address? I don't know how to do that.
HP Recommended
Instead of the printer being assigned an address by DHCP or some other method on your network, you would go into the settings and assign it a permanent IP address.

As an example, mine is:

Address  192.168.0.25
Subnet:  255.255.255.0

Make sure that you tell it to MANUALLY assign the IP address, or it will change every time.

Then you would connect to the printer from your Mac using that address.  I had to run the setup on my Mac to do it.  This should allow you to scan and print from your scanner.

That should be all that you need, it seems to work with my Mac laptop, but not with my Windows based computer..  If I'm wrong, ask again and someone will respond.

It's frustrating that HP has not figured out there is a problem.  Maybe they will get it fixed soon?
HP Recommended
Same problem here.  I've tried everything.  I replaced one all-in-one with issues for one with even greater issues.  This one makes a great paper weight right now and that is about it.
HP Recommended
To assign the IP address manually, you need to print the network configuration page to get the ip address of the printer by the following steps: Press the Setup button. Press the arrow buttons to select Network and then press OK . Press the arrow buttons to select Print Network Configuration Page and then press OK . The Network Configuration Page prints. After the page is printed, once again you need to press the setup button -> scroll down to network -> IP settings -> click on the manual IP option. In the manual IP option field type the ip address which you got from the network configuration page and then click on OK button to close the settings. Now, you have set the manual IP address to the printer.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.