Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OK, I have just done this. Thanks - I will let you know how it turns out!
HP Recommended
Thank you SLUProf, if the solution worked you can click on kudos button on my post so that we can be encouraged to help you better.
HP Recommended
I guess my underlying complaint is that I bought this based on what it would do, and it doesn't do it. There is nothing that states this shutdown problem is normal. So does anyone know if HP is working on this or not? I noticed that they are now selling a C5580. I wonder if that has the same problem as the C4580? I need to contact HP support and get this fixed, or return it and get something else. If I do return it, it's likely that the next one may not be an HP product.
HP Recommended
HP seems to be working on this issue, Pglowiak.
HP Recommended
Thank you! Paul
HP Recommended
It is a common problem with certain routers, newer printers/devices, regardless of vendor. Timing issues and other connectivity glitches between devices are common and resolved over time usually with firmware updates on behalf of the printer/device and the affected routers.

The printer offers a simple solution so it really isn't a problem other then it took some time to examine exactly what the problem was. Unobvious problems are always the worst!

Here are the steps that should work best.

Adhoc

You have to restore and network defaults on the unit going into the wireless settings menu.

Turn the wireless radio back on.

Now the printer should be broadcasting hpsetup as a adhoc network

On the Macintosh Computer click on the airport Icon in the top right and under computer to computer networks select hpsetup.

Once you have done this print out a network config page

Take the 169 IP address as it is self assigned and enter it into safari.

Once you are into the EWS go into the networking tab and then wireless and go from auto IP/subnet/gateway/dns settings to manual and then enter them in and apply.

Note : The EWS may hang but settings have taken place.

Then go through the USB to wireless setup and the printer should stop freezing.

Infrastructure

If the printer is already on a network use the IP address to access the EWS.

Once you are into the EWS go into the networking tab and then wireless and go from auto  IP/subnet/gateway/dns settings to manual and then enter them in and apply.

Note : The EWS may hang but settings have taken place.

Print out a network config page or go back into the EWS to make sure the settings have taken place.

The printer should now stop freezing.

HP Recommended
Thanks, Brent.  The problem I am having is the unit is not coming out of sleep when it's on USB OR wireless.  I forgot to mention that the other day.

HP Recommended

First it is a little disappointing to know that HP must have found out quickly this problem exists and they were not forth coming to customers calling in for technical support. 

I can’t believe they were telling customers it must be plugged into its on power outlet will solve the problem and not a power strip, sorry but 115 VAC is 115VAC and being parallel in a power strip or wiring in my house it is still 115VAC 

Then to have us jumping through hoops of pushing buttons to reset the printer to then say see problem fixed if it has a problem call us back again. 

For my third contact I am still having a hard time with the technician saying it was normal operation and would I like to have them submit a trouble report to have it possibly looked at but this was the way it worked and if I was not happy with it I should take it back to where I bought it. 

Since I like the printer for function verses price I made one last phone call to ask straight up are they working on a fix. After about 10 minutes of looking at their resources the support person told me they are working on a firmware fix and anticipate it to be out in about two weeks. 

Hope I am not being given false hope to get me past the 30 day no questions ask return policy period.

HP Recommended
At this point, I am just turning the printer ON when I need to print and then immediately turning it OFF when I am finished. Not very convenient for a wireless printer, but at least it does print when I need it to - no freezing. Looking forward to the firmware update! Merry Christmas to all!
HP Recommended
I'm real close to boxing it back up, taking it back to Staples for a refund, and getting one from another manufacturer. 

Here's why:

"First Issue:
=======
Issue cause:
========

When the printer goes into sleep mode it reduces the amount of power needed for its uses and the surge protector notes this; however, when you "wake the printer up" the difference in power usage between the two levels may be considered by the surge protector as a power surge and limit or halt the increase, disabling certain functions.

Solution summary:
=============
Weblink refering the issue.

Solution:
======
I request you to visit the web link for troubleshooting the issue.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00043050"

That link is the "unplug your unit from a surge protector and straight into the wall".  If you have any experience in computers at all, that is BS, since there is then no surge protection in case of a power surge.  Plus, I have a rather expensive UPS/suppressor with power conditioning.

"Second Issue
==========

Solution Sumamry
----------------------

Step 1:Weblink for Installing the HP All-in-One in a Wireless Network That Does Not Use an Access Point
Step 2:Weblink for Installing the HP All-in-One in a Wireless Network using an Access Point
Step 3: Weblink for Troubleshoot Wireless Network Communication Problems

Solution
------------
Paul, rather than sending you this documents in a text format, I am referring you to the Web, where this information is easier to read with graphics and the information is specified in a step by step manner.

Step 1:Weblink for Installing the HP All-in-One in a Wireless Network That Does Not Use an Access Point

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01122998

Step 2:Weblink for Installing the HP All-in-One in a Wireless Network using an Access Point

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01122127

Step 3: Weblink for Troubleshoot Wireless Network Communication Problems

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00723111"

For starters, #3 is not even for my unit!

#1 & 2 I've already done with no success.  I think that they do not want to have to exchange or accept this unit as defective.

I'm going to reply back to them and give them one last chance, then back it goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.