Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sanch,

I would not be concerned about getting a replacement quite yet especially if it is not an easy pickup by FedEx and at not cost whatsoever.  I now have had three of the C4580 printers all of which had an issue with the sleep problem described in this forum however two of them acted sporadically but ultimately went into permanent sleep mode hence the fourth replacement printer shipment has been confirmed and I will have performance metrics to report this weekend.  I am aware of the difficulty getting replacements in some international locations.  This forum is dedicated to pursue this issue to a successful resolution. My most recent conversations with HP Service is promising as the supervisors are now aware and finally recognize the problem.

Greg,

International HPUX/SGI System Administrator

HP Recommended

Maybe it would be useful to post here user's printer firmware versions (having and not having the issue). Just to know if it differs.

It can be found if you follow the link witj your browser http://ip.of.your.printer/  in the table at the bottom of the page.

Mine is WRLxFN0823AR, but I have AIO C4583.

HP Recommended
For what it is worth, my C4580 has the same firmware version (WRLxFN0823AR ) and experiences the sleep problem.
HP Recommended
FW version '823 is the original shipping version.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

Resolved: The C4580 issue has been resolved in my case.  After trying the fourth replacement C4580 and after many calls to tech support a C4599 is on the way.  I had the choice of a C6380 or C4599 and since the C6480 requires four different pens (ink cartridges) and has a larger form I chose the newly released C4599.  In my case the key when calling tech support is to tell them this is a known issue and after politely answering their questions ask that the issue be escalated to a supervisor before they get into the many different diagnostic gyrations on their standard trouble shooting scheme.  Then when talking to the supervisor suggest the case be further escalated to a CASE Manager.  If successful an email will be sent to a Case Manager in the US which will call you back.  I told them to call me back anytime, day or night and when I got the call the Case Manager said, yes this is a known problem and didn't know why HP was continuing to sell this model when the "sleep" issue is well known.  The Case Manager then offered to refund the cost if I had the original receipt or replace the printer with either of the two above models.  The stateside Case Manger was very helpful, informed and pleasant. I did however sell by 500 shares of HPQ yesterday.

As promised in previous posts, I am reporting this final bit of information and wish for all of you to receive satisfactory resolution. Thanks to all for your participation.  I will remain subscribed for a short period if I can be of further help.

Greg

HP Recommended
If i were you, i would've gone for the C6380. the C4599 is pretty much similar to the C4580, except that is can make 99 copies at one go, rather than 50 for teh C4580, and of course, it has a black body, as opposed to the C4580's Baige/white body. the C4599 still belongs to the C4500 series, so you MAY face the same issue again. If you do, then i suggest you go for the C6380.

but anyways, i hope the C4599 doesnt cause any more problems like these to you. Good luck.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

Dexter,

I you read my previous posts it would be clear why I chose the C4599 in addition to the form factor.  For those that have not received four replacements printers and did not save the ink cartridges from each and are comfortable with the C6380 requirement of four cartridges the C6380 might be the better choice. One also should consider the requirement.  In my case I will use my dual tray laser for volume printing and the all in one for light duty b/w prints, photos and scanning. It also fits nicely on the home office desk where space for other peripherals is a premium. The C4599 is the latest release and if the same sleep issue remains I will throw my collection of cartridges in the trash and accept a C6380 or some other replacement.  The point is that HP did provide a satisfactory solution eventually. 

Dexter makes some good points. All requirements, duty cycle and cost of ownership for the application for which the equipment is to be used should be taken into consideration when selecting hardware. 

Best Wishes,

Greg

HP Recommended
I understand. My suggestion was only with respect to the possibility of facing the "sleep" issue once again, as the printer is of the same series. And i am glad HP did SOMETHING to take care of the issue.

and btw, the C6380 has 5 cartridges: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black and Photo Black.
HP Recommended

Yup Dexter, you are right again I forgot about the photo black cartridge which adds to the cost of ownership. If the C4599 has apnea problems I will request a C6380 or now that I don't own any HP stock sell the C4599 on ebay and buy an Epson. lol

Thanks for the thorough review.

HP Recommended
You're welcome Greg. but If you want a small form factor printer with 2 cartridges, then you also take a look at the Deskjet F4280. It just doesnt have a Color display. pretty much the same size.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.