Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
I recently changed my print cartridge and ever since I get a test page print every time I turn on the printer.  What can I do to fix this problem?  Thanks, Barb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

zippymoss wrote:
I recently changed my print cartridge and ever since I get a test page print every time I turn on the printer.  What can I do to fix this problem?  

You do not mention what printer model you have so it is difficult to answer your question.  If you have a printer such as the PSC 1310 or 1410 the page is an alignment page.  In this case you would need to load the alignment page on the scanner glass and press the "Scan" button to complete the alignment.  Once the alignment has completed the alignment page will not be printed again until you change the next cartridge.  See your user manual for details.

Hi community!

First, you can check these steps: 

• Remove the sheets of paper from the printer so that the printer does not start printing the alignment pages.
  • Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected to the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the printer continues to print alignment pages then I suggest you to perform the steps from this An Alignment Page Prints Every Time that the All-in-One is Turned On or Off or a Print Job is Starte.... Though these steps also help in fixing alignment failures.

And you can update your drivers, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
HP Recommended

zippymoss wrote:
I recently changed my print cartridge and ever since I get a test page print every time I turn on the printer.  What can I do to fix this problem?  

You do not mention what printer model you have so it is difficult to answer your question.  If you have a printer such as the PSC 1310 or 1410 the page is an alignment page.  In this case you would need to load the alignment page on the scanner glass and press the "Scan" button to complete the alignment.  Once the alignment has completed the alignment page will not be printed again until you change the next cartridge.  See your user manual for details.

Hi community!

First, you can check these steps: 

• Remove the sheets of paper from the printer so that the printer does not start printing the alignment pages.
  • Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected to the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the printer continues to print alignment pages then I suggest you to perform the steps from this An Alignment Page Prints Every Time that the All-in-One is Turned On or Off or a Print Job is Starte.... Though these steps also help in fixing alignment failures.

And you can update your drivers, here: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  My printer is an HP Photosmart C3100 All in One.  I've never had this happen before and I've changed the cartridge many times.  Usually the first time it prints the test page, aligns itself, and then not again.  This time is different.  it keeps printing that test page every time I turn it on.  Any other ideas that might  help me?
HP Recommended

I see this question has gone unanswered for a long time. I have the same all-in-one and am having the same problem. I have used it for two years and suddenly, the last time I changed the ink cartridge, it prints a test page every single time I turn it on. I wish HP would suggest a solution for this.

HP Recommended

I never thought I'd get an answer.  Nice to hear from you.  I never solved the problem.  I don't think it's HP thought as I have never had this problem before and have had the printer for a long time.  I bought my last cartridge at London Drugs and I think that is where the problem lays.  Unfortunately I have had no time to deal with it but every time that printer prints a test sheet it uses my ink.  It really ticks me off.

Thanks for responding.

HP Recommended

I've been buying the same ink cartridges every time at Office Depot, and this just started, even though the cartridge was the same. I have been Googling trying to find something. Someone at a tech forum said, "Just don't ever turn the printer off"! And at another tech forum, someone responded by saying to "change the settings." I have looked all through the properties and can't find  a way to do this. I see this question posted on several sites but no answer. And yes, I agree about the ink waste! 🙂

HP Recommended

My C3100 also started printing a test page every time I turned it on after my last cartridge change - I found this response on another HP forum:

> To stop the alignment page from printing, you'll need to complete the alignment process. So the next time it prints the page on startup, place the page on the scanner with the face down IMMEDIATELY, and press the scan button to start scanning it. Once that is done, it shouldn't print it again.

HP Recommended

I have a HPc3180 and have been having this problem for over a year. I just found this site and I tried one of the tips (let it print the test page, then scan the test page) I then turned my printer off and back on and it no longer printed a test page! 🙂 Thank you sooo much!!!

HP Recommended

What fun to get an answer so long after I posted the question.  I have long since got rid of the printer and got another HP, which has worked fine until the last cartridge change and is now doing the same thing.  By the way I got this printer under warranty when the first one developed other problems.  I will say HP honours the warranty - or was it Best Buy, or both.  

HP Recommended

I will throw this one in just in case someone else follows this thread looking for an answer.  Hopefully it might be of some help. 

My 1315 had the same issue after a year of use.   For some reason the problem seemed to appear when I only changed one of the cartridges instead of both.  I corrected the issue when I unplugged the power, pressed and held the power switch for a few seconds to reset everything.  I powered the printer backup and let it go through the alignement process to completion.  

If I have been helpful, a Kudo is always appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.