Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I agree with Irishfred, I have tried all suggestions for my officejet 6500 E710 n-z to no avail.  HP needs to reach out to the forum community and at the very least acknowledge there is a problem and (hopefully) a solution.

Thanks

HP Recommended

thank you for this information, it worked well and now i can scan again :generic:

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and cannot be solved by any ways they mentioned. Mine is deskjet 3512. 

HP Recommended

It worked. I just restarted the services.

@ram189 wrote:

try this

To start the WIA service, you need to start all the dependency services. To start the dependency services, please follow the steps mentioned below:

->>Click on Start->Type “services.msc” and hit enter, once you get the services window up, please do the rest steps.

->>First check and note all the dependency services-:

->>Right click on WIA->Properties->Dependency tab, Check the services name listed there.

It should contain following services:

*Remote Procedure Call RPC

->>DCOM Server Process Launcher

->>RPC Endpoint Mapper

*Shell Hardware Detection

Make sure all the above services are started in the services list.

Last time we started Shell Hardware Detection, which solves our problem.

( this is important.  Select "Shell Hardware Detection" and start that service which should start your "Windows Imaging Acquisition".  If it does not then select WIA and change the start to 'Automatic'.  This fixed my issues) After starting all the dependency services, please try to Start WIA service, it should resolve the issue.

i found this solution and it worked fine.. i too had the problem and was resolved thru this

HP Recommended

Checked all services and they were all already running, and had startup type 'automatic'.

Still cannot initiate a scan from the printer.

HP Recommended

Shell Hardware Detection is not listed in the WIA->Properties->Dependency, but listed on the service.msc and runs autometicly.

Still doesn't work. 

HP Recommended
What is a cmd window?
HP Recommended

@Kimellis wrote:
What is a cmd window?

Right click on the Windows logo in the lower left corner of your screen, scroll up to "command prompt (Admin)" or the other command prompt depending on what you are trying to do.

HP Recommended

@cattyrui wrote:

Shell Hardware Detection is not listed in the WIA->Properties->Dependency, but listed on the service.msc and runs autometicly.

Still doesn't work. 

Agreed.  No joy for me either.

HP Recommended

My problem is essentially the same although my set up is just "slightly" different and model of printer.

^ to Windows 10 from 7

HP 3210 All in one printer

Printer is on a reserved address in my home network

I am able to print fine.

CANNOT ADD THE SCANNER

I can however, log into the HTML control of the printer, and scan from the printer directly through a browser connection.  You others might want to try this too as it is an easy work around!

So, why can I not add the scanner as a device in the operating system?  It is never found when I try to "Add a device" even when I point to it by address.  If I use the link to add it manually, it wants to install the entire HP Printer bundle (CD long since buried in my house somewhere) and it doesn't do any good to use a folder of the bundle downloaded from the HP website.  It specifically wants a "Setup.exe" and won't use anything else like a .inf file so I have to stop there.

Suggestions, tips, or condolences?  🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.