Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm glad I found this forum because I have been surprised by how quickly my C309A goes through Photo Black ink even though we don't print photos.  Based on what I'm reading here it is because I have "Automatic" selected as the paper type and that by changing to "Plain Paper" the printer will use the larger black cartridge.  How about some of the other settings like "HP Bright White Paper", "HP Premium Paper", etc?  Will they use the Photo or regular black?  I also read elsewhere that using the Duplex option causes excessive use of the color, including Photo Black, ink.  Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I join you.

HP Recommended

I have the c309a, photo black ran out, i replaced but now when i run a test print the photo black does not print

and text does not print.

the print head cleaning shows unacceptible on the left example no matter what I do

HP Recommended

I had the same problem myself. When the photo black ran out, the printer (Photosmart Premium) printed a blank A4. I had a almost full normal black cartridge inserted. When I replaced the empty cartridge and cleaned the printerheads it started to print normally. Now I wonder whether it uses only the photo black instead of the normal black?!

HP Recommended

I feel the HP answers here are not addressing the issue raised by the OP and others.

Why, when little or no photo printing is being done, does the Photo Black cartridge run out very quickly?

In my case, it runs out faster than the colour cartridges. (My paper is set to 'plain' and I also have a Black XL cartridge installed.) I do understand it should use a little to keep jets maintained, but not as much or as fast as it does. I feel this is probably a design fault.

Can we please have a more complete answer, if necessary escalated to second level.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@johnwallis wrote:

I feel the HP answers here are not addressing the issue raised by the OP and others. [snip]

This is a user to user forum, not a link to HP support.  If you want to Contact HP click here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and was lucky enough to get chat support from HP today even though my warranty was expired.

I am sharing it here [edited for brevity]:

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:27 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

Need help with settings because the photo black ink is being used instead of the regular black ink when printing documents.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:32 PM] -- Markus S says:

Cheryl, let me inform you that even though you print any color documents, the printer will use a small amount of blank ink.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:32 PM] -- Markus S says:

This is normal process.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:34 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

But why is my photo black being used exclusively? Even though I print very few color documents and fewer photos, I've had to replace my photo black ink 4 times but haven't had to replace my black ink yet.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:36 PM] -- Markus S says:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:37 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

So, it's a known issue with no work around?

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:41 PM] -- Markus S says:

Let me inform you that if you print color documents or photos then it will consume ink more from the Photo black ink cartridge. The photo black ink cartridges contains black and grey mix colors so the consumption will be more from Photo black ink cartridge.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:43 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

So when I'm printing black text why is it still using my photo black ink cartridge? What settings do I need to use to use only the black ink NOT the photo black ink.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:45 PM] -- Markus S says:

Cheryl, if you print black text document then it will consume ink from regular black ink cartridge.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:46 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

My settings must need to be adjusted then because I am printing black text documents and it is still consuming the photo black ink.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:47 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

Can you tell me what my settings should be for printing with black ink only?

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:48 PM] -- Markus S says:

Yes, I will be glad to assist you with that.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:48 PM] -- Markus S says:

Please open HP Solution Center.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:49 PM] -- Markus S says:

Now, click on Settings-->Printer Settings.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:51 PM] -- Markus S says:

In Printer Settings, click on Advanced tab.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:52 PM] -- Markus S says:

Now, check for 'Print in Grayscale' option and set it to print in black ink.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:53 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

For clarification (because I'm going to print this out) that option is on my Color tab.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:54 PM] -- Markus S says:

Yes, Cheryl. The print in grayscale option is listed in printer settings and the location depends upon the printer model.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:54 PM] -- Markus S says:

Please select the option and check for the result.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:55 PM] -- Cheryl Greenleaf says:

That makes sense but while I was searching for the answer to this question (a whole lot of people are having the same problem) many said that this setting didn't stay selected. Do I need to save this as a Printing Shortcut as well?

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:56 PM] -- Markus S says:

That is not required, Cheryl.

[Monday, June 27, 2011 1:57 PM] -- Markus S says:

All you need to do is, select the option 'Print in grayscale' and set it to print in black ink.

Note: I did save these settings on the Printer Shortcuts tab as "General Everyday Printing in Black" so that I don't have to change the settings every time I print.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. 

Good luck,

Cheryl Greenleaf

HP Recommended

can I substtute photo black cartrodge for regular black on HP c309a series printer

HP Recommended

@Skypilott wrote:

can I substtute photo black cartrodge for regular black on HP c309a series printer

No, they are not interchangable.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.