Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi tilleybud,

I understand the printer is always going offline. I can help you with this, but will need some more details.

What operating system are you using?

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

What is the full name and product number of your printer? How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

What brand of router do you have?

If the printer is on the network, usually setting up a Static IP will resolve this issue.

Please let me know what you have tried already, this way I won't repeat any steps that you have already done.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After two days of not being able to print, I figured out the problem.

The printer default was HP Officejet 8600 (Class Driver)

I selected the setting (I think it was "add a printer" and a list appeared) for HP Officejet 8600 (Network)

Make sure your default printer is the Network not the Class Driver or Fax.

I hope this simple thing helps you.

Kindness is never wasted.
HP Recommended

My problem was solved and I've "accepted as a solution" but I'm still getting responses.  Thank you all, but I'm done with this.

HP Recommended

Hi FreddieBendell,

Please provide the operating system and how the printer is connected, when posting to a long thread. This way I can provide the answer quicker, related to your specific model and issue.

Which link are you referring to that is broken?

Here are a couple documents you can try in the mean time, depending on your operating system.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Mac OS X.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Does Not Print: Windows 7.

If the printer is on a network, print a configuration page to get the printer's IP address.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

If you have a valid IP address for the printer then try and access the Embedded Web Server for the printer.
Type the IP address into your web browser's address bar.

Let me know the results.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello - the document you posted several times on how to fix this issue is a dead link. 

I have a OfficeJet Pro 8600.  I am running windows 8.1 on this machine and it says the printer is offline but it is not.  On another laptop on same network it works fine.  Why is this happening?  The print/scan Dr. says everything is good - it gave me green check marks in every category and says the printer is ready.  The wireless network test also said everything is perfect.  

HP Recommended

Hi @pianopop9,

I see that you are using Windows 8 on the one computer which is showing the printer is offline. The other computer is working. I would like to help you out with this issue. Thanks for letting me know the offline link isn't working. I was able to fix them.

Most likely the router reassigned the IPv4 address on the printer and the one computer isn't checked to allow any changes, which would cause just the one computer not to recognize the printer in the printer's properties ports.

Check the IP address selected on the computer to make sure it matches the printer's IP address.

Go to the start up screen, (tiles menu) type in "Devices and Printers", select settings, click on Devices and Printers.

Right click the printer, go to printer properties, select the ports tab, click configure port. Check the IP address.
If they don't match then close the configure port window and click add a port and follow the wizard.
Type in the proper IP address.
Make sure the printer is set to online.
In Devices and Printers, right click on your printer icon. Left click on see whats printing, click Printer across the top and make sure Use Printer Offline isn't checked.

Temporarily turn off the Antivirus software and Firewalls, just to rule out any interference.

Try printing again.

Print a configuration page to get the printer's IP address.

Printing a Network Configuration Page.

If you have a valid IP address for the printer then try and access the Embedded Web Server for the printer.
Type the IP address into your web browser's address bar. (Internet Explorer)

If you are still having issues, check the IP address on the computer.

Go to start, type run in the search box, type in cmd, then type ipconfig.
Check the IP address.
Now check the IP address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

Try and ping the printer.

In the same window, type ping printers IP address (space between ping and IP address)
What are the results?

I would also setup a Static IP address for the printer.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Go to Solution two: Assign the printer an automatic static IP address.

Here is the link for Windows 8 with some more steps, if the issue persists..

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8.

You can skip running the Print and Scan Doctor since everything passed.

Please provide in detail the results if you are still having issues.

Have a wonderful day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
My printer says it is off line and will not print
HP Recommended

My solution was so basic, hopefully this will solve it for you too.

Problem:

1.  I would press Ctrl + P to bring up the print window

2,  Print window would open and one of several printer options would be highlighted, in my case it was my Officejet Pro 8600.

3.  What I eventually noticed was that the highlited printer was "Officejet Pro 8600 (Driver)" so I simply used the up/down arrow to highlight "Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)" and that solved the problem!

Kindness is never wasted.
HP Recommended

that is the common sense solution...however, my printer is not offline in the settings...its just always off line whenever i attempt to print from a PC laptor or work station....anyone who enters my office can print off on my two different HP printers with their "Apple" devices...but i cant even get my PC to work with USB plugged directly into it unless i perform regular "wizard" set ups almost every time i use the printers....very frustrating

HP Recommended

How do I get to the Devices and Printers area?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.