Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The drivers available on HP's web sites do not work on our Windows 7 64 bits computers.

Does someone know about a workable driver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Select which product you are using and follow the appropriate steps for drivers related to the Laserjet 1200 series.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prod...

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. 🙂

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75
HP Recommended

First message I get is "No driver found ... to locate one manually, click OK"

Then a dialog box with browse to the inf area.

I choose C:\temp\hp where I have unzipped the files.

Then I get an error message saying "Connect to Printer; Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver"

I have tried with all the 64bit drivers on the webpage, 6 PCL, 5PCL, PS and the UPD. All give me the same errors.

I have also tried the install.exe file but it does the same.

I have tried logging in as an administrator, I have tried changing access rights and I have tried relocating the files.

Same error.

I have tried installing Canon printers, and Kyocera printers, they work perfectly.

HP Recommended

I guess misery loves company.  I am having the same problem.  Have tried Live Chat  hahaha - what a joke.  No help there, either.

HP Recommended

I having the same issue. Any direction?

HP Recommended

Ditto. I am having the same problem as well. In fact I am having difficulty connecting to any of our HP printers on the network. These printers workn on this domian for all other computers, including many Xp stations, Server 2000, Server 2003, 200 Pro, worked on Windows Vista 32. I can not figure out any work around.

We have laserjet 1200, laserjet 2200, laserjet 4050, lasserjet 8000, color laser 1320. I can print to NONE of them. Incredibly difficult for me on this Windows 7 x64 machine. Dead to the printing world. We are entirely HP up here for printers and all are dead to me. PLEASE HELP.

HP Recommended

Similar issues here.

I've found that the native driver in both Windows 32 bit and 64 bit work as a local machine. In other words connect the Laser Jet 1200 to the Windows 7 machine fine it works. 

It does not work though on a network in as much that only the machine connected to the printer directly can print but the others on the network cannot install a driver.

What it means is for now I'm having to plug in the printer to what ever machine I have to print on.

I've noticed that HP do not seem to resond to this thread and it's interesting that other printer do not have such issues.

I'll probably have to buy a new printer soon but I don't think it will be a HP as the support here is pretty much dead!!!!!

HP Recommended

Finally I've worked it out.

Okay; the machine you want to connect this printer to is say windows 7 64bit. You plug it in as a USB in my case and windows sees it so you assume you need to share this and that's it but it's not.

You have to add the printer again as a network printer then the network can see it. Logical but not the same logic we are used to on XP.

HP Recommended

My network has the LaserJet 1200 connected to a WinXP computer.  I'm trying to connect on a wireless network to the printer from a Win7 64bit system.  Downloaded the PLC6 Universal to the Win7 system and unzipped.  Win7 recognizes the printer on the network but then can't find the driver.  Recommendations?

HP Recommended

I am having same problem.I have aHP PhotoSmart plus Printer B209a I check With Hp spent hours no solution.

I installe the program, it prints it scan every time its says driver not installed this has being oing for months

Microsoft says driver

does not meet there standards My Email: is[text removed for privacy] i need help its ether it get fix or buya new priter notHP

HP Recommended

Good news. There is a solution.

HP Laserjet 1200 or 1300, and possiblly more Laserjet models have the same problem with Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit . My desktop is XP (32 bit) with a shared HP Laserjet 1200. I have no problem to share it with my other XP and Vista 32 bit laptops through wireless network at home. But I just purchased a new HP Windows 7 64bit laptop and I could not install the shared printer even through I used the downloaded HP universal printer drivers for Windows 64 bit. I searched the HP support forums and found this link was very helpful.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1301542

Now my Windows 7 64 bit is working with the shared HP Laserjet 1200. Here is the solution from the link and I added some more details.

1. Disconnect the printer from the desktop computer on the network. Then, connect the printer directly to the new Window 7 64 bit (or Vista 64 bit) laptop using the USB cable. The laptop loads the correct driver automatically.
2. Print a test page. (This is an important step.)
3. Disconnect the printer from the laptop and reconnect it back to the desktop.
4. Open the list of printers of the new Windows 7 64 bit laptop, find the LaserJet printer. Right click and open "Printer properties" (not the "Properties" at the bottom of list).
5. Find the "ports" tab. Change from the USB port (DOT4_xxx) to the network connection. If you do not know how to change it to network connection, click "Add Port", then click "Local Port". Typed in " \\your_desktop_pc_name\your_shared_printer_name " (This is just an example.). Click OK to save it.
6. Print another test page.

Following the above steps, you will have a shared HP Laserjet 1200 PCL5 printer. To change it to PCL6 printer driver, you will need to use the downloaded HP Universal Drivers for Windows 64 bit. I will not discuss it here.

Thanks to the first person who came out this great idea.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.