Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Nope the solution does not work.

My printer will not print at all- tells me I MUST replace all empty cartiriges. And to avoid damage to my printer- it recommends shutting down.

HP Recommended
So I'm starting to understand the canned answer: If you got an ad for a "deal" on HP ink purchased from the HP website; that is part of a class action settlement.
HP has gotten away with providing "coupons" for ink to customers stemming from a class action ( really a combination of three class actions) as part of the settlement. Apparently, HP has been doing several things to bump up those ink sales including using "expiration dates" on ink that stops working on a certain date and having the printer show low ink when the ink is not really that low.
They have been busy "innovating ".
And now they can "give away" $2-$6 worth of coupons for ink that is $5-$20 overpriced to begin with.
Food for thought as you are shopping for a new printer.
See Rich vs HP.
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

This one makes me want to pull my hair out and caused me to stop telling family and friends how good HP printers are.  It really ensures that I won't do that again.  I bought my HP 8600 at an office supply store and NO ONE warned me about this limitation.  There was nothing I saw in the sales literature.  On my previous HP printer (C4180), I just switched my printing to black only and kept on printing if I had a color ink shortage, or switched it to red only, if I was out of black.  Makes sense and it worked for me many times.  When people need to print, they need to print.  You can't do this at all with the 8600.  I've switched my default to black only - but it still won't print; I took out the yellow print cartridge and shook it up to loosen up any ink remaining - but it still won't print.  Both techniques worked on my older printer.

The point of "new technology" is to make it better and more functional than your previous technology.  Since my older HP printer never stopped working (it got passed on to another member of the family), you can't say that the 8600 is better than the old technology.  Nor is it more functional, because it fails at the very basic level of the ability to print out of whichever cartridge has enough ink for you to see something on the paper.  Whoever approved this design flaw, should be flawged, pun intended.  This is my point of view - it doesn't stand up as a reliable printer, because you don't know when it is going to blow up on you and HP forces you to stock 4 different cartridges that I supposed could dry up over time.  Ah, ha, could that have been the design point?

HP Recommended

Wow, I am amazed. This is unbelievable!

I was just contacted by "Wayne" in some sort of "your complaint made it all the way to me" department.

I know that I am picky about customer service, but I think HP should rethink this whole department unless they are going to actually train their employees in CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Wayne broke every rule in the book:

He told me it was my own fault for buying this printer because I did not do the research first.

He talked over me when I called this whole issue a scam to sell more ink.

He interrupted me repeatedly.

He told me there was no one else I could talk to since apparently he runs HP and signs his own paycheck.

He told me I should have had a backup of ink for that middle of the night yellow shortage - which I might have had if someone had disclosed the scam before it was actually happening to me.

Then again, I would not have purchased the HP if someone had disclosed the scam.

I asked Wayne what he could do for me and basically why he called. He did not seem to know why and had no resolution for me whatsoever except to talk to me in a condescending way looking desperately for a reason to hang up on me and provide no solutions AT ALL.

He said he wasn't going to go around and around with me. Then have something - ANYTHING - to make the situation better, Wayne. Or don't call! 

I am more angry now. Not less.

I suspect there was more he could do - I just had to GUESS WHAT IT MIGHT BE!

What idiots.

HP Recommended

It seems we are just wasting our time, writing in these forums.

Time to look at Lexmark or Maybe Epson.

HP Recommended

I have the Officejet Pro 8600 and just discovered the same problem. Needed colour for the 6 months of purchase but now only need black and white. Had a look at the user guide and on page 89:

Print with one or more depleted cartridges

The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted, output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. For information about how to install new cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.

CAUTION: Wait until you have a new ink cartridge available before removing the old ink cartridge. Do not leave the ink cartridge outside of the printer for an extended period of time. This can result in damage to both the printer and the ink cartridge. 

Have sent an email to the UK & Ireland MD Nick Wilson. Here's the link if you wish to do so too.

https://h41268.www4.hp.com/live/index.aspx?qid=12350

HP Recommended

@dc83ok wrote:

I have the Officejet Pro 8600 and just discovered the same problem. Needed colour for the 6 months of purchase but now only need black and white. Had a look at the user guide and on page 89:

Print with one or more depleted cartridges

The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted, output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. For information about how to install new cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.

CAUTION: Wait until you have a new ink cartridge available before removing the old ink cartridge. Do not leave the ink cartridge outside of the printer for an extended period of time. This can result in damage to both the printer and the ink cartridge. 

Have sent an email to the UK & Ireland MD Nick Wilson. Here's the link if you wish to do so too.

https://h41268.www4.hp.com/live/index.aspx?qid=12350

Yeah what the manual says and what the printer does are two different things.   I doubt they will fix it.

HP Recommended

That sounds good & all but doesnt tell me HOW to make printer print. It absolutley refuses to print- Although Ive made all setting in laptop for B&W, the printer itself refuses to print- tells me that I can cause harm to the unti, then doesnt print.

I would like HP to send me some particular step by step to make printer work with one cartridge- please

HP Recommended

I found that the printer would print for a short while; warning each time that the black ink was depleted and needed to be replaced.

I replaced the black ink.

Then a color (magenta, I think) started showing that it was depleted. I didn't worry as I had always been able to print with whatever was in the printer until I had a chance to replace any color options.

Then, I found that it stops printing all together after 10 or so pages once a color is depleted.

Therefore, you must keep all your colors and your black in working order with ink or NOTHING PRINTS.

For example, the gentleman on here last week who needed a project for the next morning. He ran out of yellow late into the night and could not print at all.

This was my original question: Do I have to buy all the colors and keep them in the printer for the printer to use only black ink? The answer is YES! Crazy, but true.

Its a scam to sell ink.

HP Recommended

I agree, there isn't a way to print in black and white without having all ink cartridges working, which is ridiculous. My point before about this being contradicted in the instruction manual for the 8600 is what I've emailed the MD about. In my mind I entered a contract with HP, paying them for a printer based on the specs provided in the instruction manual. If those specs have changed post purchase it effectively becomes a new contract, at which point I as the consumer, should have the right to decide whether I'm happy to continue using this service. I don't wish to use/own a printer that holds me ransom to purchasing more ink cartridges than I need, so I want my money back.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.