Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Ahmen! When this one finishes it's slow death, I will find another brand. HP used to make good stuff. No longer dependable - just discardable.
HP Recommended
I am not sure if I will ever have the opportunity to say Kudos but if I did I am not sure if it is due. When I buy a All in One Wireless Printer I would expect it to work without a forum and/or blog whereas we all figure out how to fix problems that should be fixed by HP!!!!!
HP Recommended

Hello jsm194

I'm not sure which version of Word you have, but this Microsoft article should help.It explains what text encoding is and how it could produce garbled text.

Choose text encoding when you open and save files

If the "No scan options" article did not resolve the problem,follow the instructions below to "scrub" the printer drives and reinstall.

Step one: Clear temp directory
Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
Continue with Step 2 below
Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:
1. Download the full feature software and drivers (I included both links because according to the product specifications for the Officejet 4500 series only the G510n supports wireless and Ethernet whereas the G510g supports Ethernet and no wireless)
Officejet 4500 G510g
Officejet 4500 G510n
2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.
3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation
4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy
7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.
8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop
9. Open folder Util
10. Open folder CCC
11. Run the uninstall_L4
12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs
14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player
Adobe Flash Player
15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Why does my hp officejet 4500 have no scan options.

HP Recommended

thank you very much your solution sounds very reasonable will try it thanks for the support

HP Recommended

scanner not working

HP Recommended
Smardyjones' solution worked perfectly. Go to the start menu, control panel, devices and printers, right click on the ho printer, then choose start scan
HP Recommended

I just took hours to figure out how to make my HP Officejet 4500 printer SCAN again.

The problem lies with the printer mode: It should say: idle  NOT pause or anything else.

I will step you through the whole process.

Select: Systems Preference - Grey box with gears, bottom of tool bar or upper left APPLE pull down.

Select: Print & Scan

Page opens: Page should look like: Left hand side - Printer in grey box - under it, it should say: .idle

Click: Scan

Click: Open scanner (you will hear printer)

Click: on Name - title document

Click: Scan again (you will hear printer)

To check if document scanned:  Click in upper right corner - Click magnifying glass - type document name

If done correctly document will pop - up.

If it did not scan, the printer is "off" .idle.   It should not say:  "paused"

To reset"

Repeat: Systems Preference and Print & Scan

Right click over grey bar with printer inside.

Click "Reset printing system"  Accept statement: all existing projects will be deleted - it is OK nothing will go wrong

Now "Systems Preference" wants your personal computer password given to your computer when you purchased it.

Click "plus sign" under blank white page.

Left click your printer name (wait a little while), then click "add".

Printer is now "reset" and must say " .idle".

Your printer is now ready to scan again. Follow same instructions when it happens again, because I believe it will return to "pause" for some unknown reason. 

I hope this will help many people.  It will make it worth my hours of intense work and frustration!!!

SharonCaryn

HP Recommended

my cd rom for my HP Officejet 5615 All-in-One worked pecfectly in the past, but now will not open in order for me  to use the scanner.

HP Recommended

hoe do i scan a photo from hp officejet to windows 8

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.