Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

All

I have just succesfully found a solution to making the laser jet 1000 work under windows 7 64bit

The trick  is  that you need a GDI driver  and  finding a supplier ( other than HP ) who has built one.

Go to the following link and download the windows 7  64 bit driver for the following printer

http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/download/Search.aspx?ht=

search desktop printer -> magicolor 2430DL ->drivers -> windows 7 64bit ( or whartever windows version you need)

KONICA MINOLTA magicolor 2430DL

install the drivers

Add the printer as you would normally and then open the print queue window and
under printer properties select advanced and under print processor select winprint raw

The reason this works is that this printer uses the same hardware GDI engine as the lasjet 1000

Enjoy

Anthony

66 REPLIES 66
HP Recommended

The way I have it set up is that my laserjet 1000 is plugged into a seperate old PC running windows 2000 with laserjet 1000 drivers loaded on it as its shared by various household computer ranging from Macbook to XP and now windows7.

I connect to it on windows 7 by adding a local printer and direct mapping it by creating a new port and putting in the box

\\servername or ip address\printersharename

i.e

\\\Printerserver\Laserjet1000

set up the properties as I precviously described and it works fine

Note direct USB connection does not work

If I have some time to kill , I'll see if I can get the direct USB to work

Anthony.

HP Recommended

Hi Anthony

I have tried what you proposed, but unfortunately I have a window saying "Please make sure the printer is connected to the USB port and powered on. Detecting connection..." and it remains stuck that way.

I went back and chose the "FILE" port instead of the "USB" port, and the installation went smoothly until successful completion.

Then, Right-Click on the Laserjet1000 printer > Properties > Hardware > Properties > Change Parameters > Driver > Updated Pilote > I chose the "choose drivers locally" and then choose "Konica" as manufacturer, then selected the "2430DL" model. After driver insalled, I made the proposed change (Winprint/RAW), but when trying to print the test page, nothing happens, and the printer enters the error state.

Have you got any clue of what went wrong? I confirm I run Win 7 Ultimate 64bits.

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

@Ant_in_OZ wrote:

All

I have just succesfully found a solution to making the laser jet 1000 work under windows 7 64bit

The trick  is  that you need a GDI driver  and  finding a supplier ( other than HP ) who has built one.

Go to the following link and download the windows 7  64 bit driver for the following printer

http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/download/Search.aspx?ht=

search desktop printer -> magicolor 2430DL ->drivers -> windows 7 64bit ( or whartever windows version you need)

KONICA MINOLTA magicolor 2430DL

install the drivers

Add the printer as you would normally and then open the print queue window and
under printer properties select advanced and under print processor select winprint raw

The reason this works is that this printer uses the same hardware GDI engine as the lasjet 1000

Enjoy

Anthony

i am trying it is not installing

plz helpp me more

HP Recommended

Have you guys tried the following if it works ?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-and/HP-LaserJet-1000-Windows-7-32-64-bit/m-p...

I have been told by some printer experts that HP UPD should do the trick, though you may lose some printing funtionality.

Please let me know if the solution works ? BIG THANKS in advance :OpenSmile:

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

It works it works it works!!!  Though only for text; pictures come out blank, but oh well.

Thank you so much Anthony!  How in the world did you figure all this out?

For those of you who need a little more direction, I will elaborate on Anthony's instructions with a step-by-step guide:

The printer needs to be plugged into a computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows and networked to your Windows 7 64-bit machine.  The computer running 32-bit Windows will be your print server.  On the 32-bit machine, install the HP drivers found here:
<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=45675&lang=en&cc=us&t...>
and share the printer over the network.

On the computer running Windows 7 64-bit, download and unzip the magicolor 2430DL driver that Anthony pointed to.
Double click on \mc2430DL_win7_x64_v2024200\En\Setup.exe.
When setup asks what components to install, only select the driver, deselecting the other options, and click OK.
Next, it will ask you whether it's a local or network printer. Select Local Printer and click OK
Next, under Select Port, select Other, leaving the drop-down box as is and click OK.
Change the name to 'hp LaserJet 1000' and click OK.
The printer driver should install successfully.

Next, click on the start menu > Devices and Printers and right click on hp LaserJet 1000 and click on Printer properties.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Print Processor... button then select winprint for the print processor and RAW for the default data type. Click OK
Still in Printer properties, go to the Ports tab and click on Add Port...
Select Local Port and click on New Port...
For the port name, type \\your print server's name or ip address\printer's share name.
For example, if the name of the 32-bit computer that is directly hooked up to the printer is WATSON and its ip address is 192.168.0.13, and the printer's share name is Printer5, you type:
\\WATSON\Printer5
or
\\192.168.0.13\Printer5
Click OK and that should be it.

If you don't know the name of the 32-bit computer acting as print server, or the printer's share name, do the following:
For Windows XP 32-bit:
Right click My Computer and click on properties, then under the Computer Name tab it will tell you the computer's name next to 'Full computer name:'. This is not to be confused with 'Computer description:', thought they may be the same.  For the IP address, click on run in the start menu, then type cmd in the text box and press enter. In the command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter.  The IP address will be displayed.
To find out the printer's share name, in the start menu or control panel click on Printers and Faxes (Devices and Printers in Windows 7). Right-click on hp LaserJet 1000 and click on Printer properties. Under the Sharing tab, it will show you the share name, which may be different from the name that appears in Printers and Faxes. If the name is greyed out, check Share this printer, give it a share name, and press OK.

I haven't tried to get this to work by hooking the printer up to the Windows 7 64-bit computer directly via USB cable, but if I figure it out I will post an update.

HP Recommended

I resolved this issue recently by using the solution provided in this thread.

Windows 7 and HP Laserjet 1000

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-and/Windows-7-and-HP-Laserjet-1000/td-p/129...

It was originally written by Los 15 and modified by erpp.

I have a HP Laserjet 1000 attached to a 32-bit WinXP machine on my home network.  It acts like a print server.

I did not go to the extreme of modifying things like Los15 did.  You may have to do this if you have a Win 7 machine hosting the printer.  I left my print drivers unaltered and started on #11 like erpp.  I installed the host based drivers a long time ago.  If you do not have the DOS driver installed, then install the host based driver.

If you have problems connecting while creating the port, check your network settings.  Security share settings, firewall, Win7 network settings, etc...  Remove anything too restrictive.

===========================================

SOLUTION (from link above)

===========================================

@erpp wrote:

The procedure Los 15 proposed worked well, so far I have only made two attempts to print and they have worked OK. But in this case, it was much simpler to perform:

I) On the 32 bit system I just left the printer installed as it was - only performed steps 11 and 12 on the LaserJet 1000 DOS, which was already installed. I changed the port to USB1, which is the one on which the printer is installed.

II) On the 64 bit Windows 7 system I followed the whole procedure described: steps 1 to 4. The LaserJet 1000 DOS, showed up as Printer under "Devices and Printers", so that was the printer name I used to create the Local Port. Had to update the HP printer list originally presented by W7 because it did not contain the HP LaserJet 1100 MS, which only showed up after the update. Printer is installed as HP LaserJet 1100 MS. Installation was rather fast. Worked fine. If there are any hitches later on its functioning I will update this post.

I am very glad to be able to continue to use this printer because it has worked great throughout 8 years and, additionally, the HP printers that replace it seem to work with a 1600 page cartridge, vs. 2500 pages for the LaserJet 1000.

Hope this helps somebody

@Los15 wrote:

After working on this for a while, I've pieced together some solutions offered by other frustrated HP customers. Below is a solution that will work for Windows 7 64-bit clients printing to a Windows 7 32-bit shared LaserJet 1000 printer:

On the 32bit Machine:

1. Delete all instances of LaserJet 1000

2. Download XP version of HP LaserJet 1000 Printing Software Solution at the following link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=45675&pr...

3. Extract the Printing Software Solution files to folder, e.g. c:\hp\lj1488

4. Cancel the auto install. Trust me, cancel the install.

5. Navigate to the extracted files, sort by type and for every .exe file you will need to right click and set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.

6. After setting all the .exe files to the correct compatibility mode run setup.exe.

7. After successful install you will notice two printers. One is the LaserJet 1000 and the other is the LaserJet 1000 DOS. They are not read to print. Need to fix driver issue on LaserJet 1000 in the next step.

8. Download the XP version of the Host Based Driver at the same link above.

9. Extract those files to folder, e.g. c:\hp\lj1000hb

10. Go back to Printers and Devices and right click the LaserJet 1000 printer. Update the driver to the host based driver.

11. Now here is the crucial part, Right Click on LaserJet 1000 DOS printer. Change the port from print to file to USB.

12. Share the LaserJet 1000 DOS printer.

On the 64 bit Windows 7 machine trying to connect to the shared printer:

1. Add a printer and choose local printer.

2. Add a port, choose create a new port, choose local port

3. Enter a port name. The port name will be \\Computer Name\Share Printer Name, in this case use the LaserJet 1000 DOS printer

4. Then choose the following driver when creating the printer: HP LaserJet 1100 MS. Works perfect with that DOS printer.

5. Do a test print and give yourself a high five.

6. Winning.

Good luck.

Here are the links I used to piece this together:

http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=46368&page=2 (VTSteve post)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56009-3-laserjet-1000-compatible (KellyB post)

HP Recommended

I have same computer and cannot get the solution for the printer to work, It seems the installation of drivers of the konica printer is my issue, which ones do i use?  a more step by step instruction may be what i need.  But, can't get it to work now.  I have my hp laser 1000 conected to a gateway running xp through usb and it shares fine with all xp computers but now none of the windows 7 will print to gateway computer.

See if i can get some help with this thanks Phil

HP Recommended

Phil, do not use the konica driver.  Use HP's host-based driver (DOS printer) on the WinXP print server and use HP Laserjet 1100MS driver for the Win 7 machines.  If you do not have the host based driver, download it from the HP support page.  Make sure to update the drivers first on the Win 7 machine in order to see the HP Laserjet 1100MS driver.

Below is a brief summary of what I did.  More details are in my previous post.

--------

I resolved this problem recently. Host the HP Laserjet 1000 on a 32-bit machine like WinXP. Assign this as your print server on your home network. Your Windows 7 machine will be somewhere on the network. Install the host based drivers on the WinXP machine. Modify the DOS driver and change the port to USB. On the Win 7 64 bit machine, install a new printer as a LOCAL PRINTER (although it is not attched to the Win 7 machine). Create a new port. Local port type. For the port name use \\PrintServerName\PrinterShareName. Click on Windows update button next to update the drivers. Choose HP Laserjet 1100 MS as the driver for the Win 7 machine. Save with whatever name and do a test print.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help, but....

I have one Win 7 computer connected to a Laserjet 1000. I downloaded the Konica driver and followed the instructions, but nothing. I do not have a network or a print server, just one computer connected to one printer. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am not a super wiz at this stuff so detailed instructions would really be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.