Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

Could really need some help with my printer. I recently bought new ink cartridges and replaced the old ones, but then my printer started showing error messages about clearing the carriage jam even though it was clear, and since then it has constantly showed this error message about ink. It wants me to replace one empty ink cartridge in order to resume printing, it won't work otherwise. 

The ink I have placed in the printer is totally new and genuine, but it doesn't seem to respond, it shows the same message to both ink cartridges, which makes me realize that it doesn't really discern which one is new or empty. 

If I remove them both, it tells me that there is an empty or damaged ink. 

I have tried reseting the printer, shut it down and turn it on again, but the same message appears immediately. The light next to the screen is blinking all the time. 

When I replaced the old ink cartridges I didn't let the printer process, I replaced them all first and then let it process. Maybe it was wrong to do that?

Any help appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It would seem to be a issue with either the hardware of the printer or the replacement cartridge. If it is the cartridge, it should be covered under warranty (if it is HP genuine) since you just purchased it. At this time I think that your best move would be to contact HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you.

The only other option would be to try another new replacement cartridge to rule in or out the cartridge being at fault.

If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello SofiaVam,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

Sorry to hear about the issues with the printer, replacing the inks should not be this difficult. What is the model of the printer you have?

You could try cleaning the contacts in the printer and on the cartridges the relay and store the information. Below are two links for the most common ink systems found in HP printers.

See this document: 'At least one of the cartridges has a problem', 'Non-HP Cartridges installed', 'Incompatible cartrid... for printers that use a black and a tri color cartridge.

See this document: An 'Incompatible Cartridge(s)' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridge(s)' Error Message Displays on the Comp... for printer that use individual inks such as 564 cartridges.

I hope this suggestion helps.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello and thank you!

It's name is C6180 and is a version of the HP photosmart C6100 series. 

I have tried to clean the contact of the ink cartridge but nothing. I've also tried to clean the contact of the socket where the ink is supposed to sit, even though it's hard because it's not plain. Still nothing. It shows that it processes but then the same error message appears. I've tried to remove all of the ink cartridges, an error message appears telling me that ink cartridges are missing. It finds all of the ink cartridges once I place them in the printer, when all of the ink cartridges are in the printer, the light blinks again and the same error message appears. It claims that one ink cartridge is empty even though I just bought it. 

Is it maybe a hardware problem?  

HP Recommended

It would seem to be a issue with either the hardware of the printer or the replacement cartridge. If it is the cartridge, it should be covered under warranty (if it is HP genuine) since you just purchased it. At this time I think that your best move would be to contact HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you.

The only other option would be to try another new replacement cartridge to rule in or out the cartridge being at fault.

If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Okay thank you again!

HP Recommended

Actually the problem with the ink cartridge was that it was defective even though it was new, I got a new one today which now works perfectly. The printer works but not entirely, now it complains about clearing the Carriage Jam and even though I can avoid the message by pressing 'ok', it starts printing but then the message reappears and so it prints only a tiny bit, cancelling the rest of the job.

What exactly do I have to do? the papers are placed in the right place and all. Should I shut it down and turn it on again or?

HP Recommended

There could be a scape of paper in the printer or a full piece some where in the printer, use this guide to help troubleshoot the new issue: 'Carriage Jam: Open Door, clear carriage jam, and then press OK to continue' Error Message Displays ....

The paper jam document may also be helpful, usually the same steps as a carriage jam but worth a look: 'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the Computer.

Best of luck.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I called that number and it told me to go back to the website......have you received any resolution?

HP Recommended

MINE IS DOING THE SAME THING.  I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH   HP  FOR OVER AN HOUR AND DIDNT GET IT WORKING PROPERLY.  I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO PRINT WITH ONE OF THE CARTRIDGES OUT.  IT IS

SUPPOSED TO PRINT IN BLACK IF THERE ARE COLOR CARTRIDGES OUT   I AM SENDING MY CARTRIDGES BACK TO

QUILL WHERE I BOUGHT THEM.  ONE OF THEM SAID THAT IT WAS EMPTY.  THE OTHERS WOULDNT LET THE PRINTER

FUNCTION PROPERLYP

HP Recommended
I have replaced my black 950 xl cartridge and it would not work print says the cartridge is empty bought another cartridge and the print says it is empty as well this is getting expensive
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.