Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I'm trying to install new drivers for my HP Photosmart C4385 Printer.  I downloaded the full feature drivers for Windows XP 32-bit, and when I start to install (extract), I get the error message:

Extraction Failed

Cannot Open Output File

And the process closes.  It happens at about 85% extraction every time.

Any idea why?  I called HP but since it is out of warranty they wanted money, which I think as absolutely ridiculous - won't even give me basic support??  Poor, poor customer service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi GIJeff12,

Temporarily disable any AntiVirus/Antispyware software.

Cut the software installer from your Desktop then click the Start Menu, click Computer, double click the C: drive and paste the installler here.  Now try right clicking on the software installer for your printer, select 7-Zip and choose extract files, then click Ok.  If the installer now extracts properly, proceed as below.  If it doesn't extract, let me know.

Disconnect your printer from the PC.  Reboot your PC.

Open the newly extracted folder and double click the setup application to start the installation ( the setup application will probably have the same icon as the original software installer you downloaded ).  Connect the printer to your PC when the software asks.

If this has been successfull, re-enable your security software.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you haven't still got the  Full Feature software installer, download it from the link below and save it to your Desktop.  If you already have it, place it on your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL20274/mp-53147-4/100_228_PS_AIO_02_Full_USW_enu_NB.exe

Make sure the Printer is disconnected from your PC.

Download and install 7-ZIP.  Once installed, right click on the software installer for your printer, select 7-Zip and choose extract files, then click Ok.

Open the newly extracted folder and double click the setup application to start the installation ( the setup application will probably have the same icon as the original software installer you downloaded ).  Connect the printer to your PC when the software asks.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I tried that, however it still isn't working.

I received the following error message using 7-Zip:

At the 100% copying mark, I got:

0 can not open output file C:\Documents and Settings\AlexandJ\Desktop\asdf\autorun.inf

Edit:  Also, when I open up the asdf folder I extracted the files to, there is a setup file, but, when I double click it, nothing happens.  The setup.exe file doesn't execute or do anything.

HP Recommended

Hi GIJeff12,

Temporarily disable any AntiVirus/Antispyware software.

Cut the software installer from your Desktop then click the Start Menu, click Computer, double click the C: drive and paste the installler here.  Now try right clicking on the software installer for your printer, select 7-Zip and choose extract files, then click Ok.  If the installer now extracts properly, proceed as below.  If it doesn't extract, let me know.

Disconnect your printer from the PC.  Reboot your PC.

If this has been successfull, re-enable your security software.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It worked!

I was unable to disable my antivirus because I'm on a business computer, and it is controlled by corporate, but I cut the installer app to the C drive, extracted the contents to the C drive using 7-zip, and then the setup.exe file executed when I clicked on it!  Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Hi GIJeff12,

You're welcome, glad it worked.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello. I am trying to install the driver for HP Officejet 6300 series AiO. I'm getting the same error as the OP. I tried the solution posted by DavidPK, but no dice.  I unzip it to C:\AiO_071... and get the following Diagnostic message from 7-Zip, "0 can not open output file C:\AiO_071_000_201_000_CDA_DriverOnly_Network_enu_NB\autorun.inf". I opened the file setup.exe anyway and nothing comes up. I tried the same procedure with the Full feature suite and I get the same errors, the only difference is that when I click setup.exe a splash screen with two options comes up (Install and something else, I forget what), I click Install and then nothing happens.

What can I do to install the driver for this printer?

HP Recommended

I have exact same problem as mentioned by MonoDede.
I was getting the error "Extraction Failed: Cannot Open Output File".  
Tried the solution provided by DavidPK to extract the files using 7-ZIP.
On extract with 7-zip, I get the message: 
    0 can not open output file "<folders>/Autorun.inf" 
I am on business laptop with Windows XP but tried with Admininstrator login as well.
Was anyone able to get past this?

HP Recommended

Please Please Please help me!

I'm so frustrated. I have the same problem, and tried the solution and it does not work.

this is a bussiness laptop so I can not control the firewall and anti-virus systems.

I tried all possible with basic and with full... 😞

I'm trying to install: j4580

thanks!

HP Recommended

I ran into the same problem too and this may be the culprit: Are you trying to extract to the Program Files directories?

When I asked 7z to extract in Program Files, I received a system error explaining that it cannot create a new folder there.

When I asked 7z  to extract in Program Files (x86), the extract log would produce error:
  0 can not open output file "<folders>/Autorun.inf" 

Try installing elsewhere, and then moving the files to the desired location.

"Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense, differing from the latter only as a veteran may differ from a raw recruit.. as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ from the manner in which a savage wields his club."
-- T. H. Huxley
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.