Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

my HP L7680 takes about 15 minutes of "CHECKING DEVICE" spinning and testing before I can print.    

Please tell me how to SHUT OFF the STUPID Checking Device message everytime I turn my printer on??    

Please HELP 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Make sure you keep the printer plugged into a live outlet and use only the printer's power switch to turn off the printer.  If you use an external switch the printer will have to go through more servicing to get the printer ready.  Personally I would leave the printer turned on all the time, it will automatically go into a low power mode after a few minutes of not printing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have an officejet 6600 and everytime i go to print (the printer has been on for days) it does this ridiculus check. Typically i need something printed quickly so i simply give up and swear at how stupid this printer is. With this and the stupid way this printer handles empty ink cartridges; certainly last HP printer/product i will ever buy.

HP Recommended

If the printer has been on and takes fifteen minutes (or even five minutes or two minutes) for a cartrdige check then something is wrong.  Fifteen seconds would be more like normal.  I would suggest calling HP for service - if you are in North America call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.  

Is your printer still in warranty? You can check with HP's warranty tool here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

not sure if it is 15 min; i never wait around that long to see. certainly more than 2 min though. i doubt anything wrong with the printer as it has done this since it was new and hardly seems like the type of thing that would break... would guess just more likely bad design on HP's part.

no idea if still in warranty. wouldn't even know how to check.

thanks for the reply though.

HP Recommended

You can check with HP's warranty tool here.  Click on the link, then enter the serial number for your printer. It is normal for an extended startup at first installation, but if it goes through the extended startup every time you print there is a problem.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

wrong link for warranty checker

HP Recommended

Thanks for catching the bad link, I corrected it above and here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

thanks. That link works. I am waiting (over 10 min now) for printer to stop checking device to see if i can ask it my serial number. Not sure why you would suggest 20 sec.. the display even says it will take several minutes..

yay.. its done. But, next time i go to print it will likely do the same delay. Not everytime.. if i print now i am sure it will print.. but if the printer has been sitting here unused for a couple days (but left turned on) and then i go to print; it will do check again. This is a f/w bug.. i am sure it is not something fixable through warranty.. as i said.. just bad design.

even if warranty.. what would procedure be.. buy packing material and ship the item across country? hardly worth the effort.. easier to just throw in garbage (it is barely used) and buy a different brand that understands proper UI.

HP Recommended

The warranty repair is generally an exchange - they send you a replacement printer and you would use those packing materials to return the printer (at HP's expense).  The original printer generally needs to be returned within thirty days to avoid a charge.

What exactly is the display message you are seeing that says several minutes?  Is this on the printer display or the computer?  

BTW, there is a recent (July 2, 2014) firmware update for the Officejet 6600 available here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.