3512 Paper Feed Troubles (443 Views)
Honor Student
Forbesfarm
Message 1 of 6 (443 Views)

3512 Paper Feed Troubles

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with my HP 3512 printer!  I had a 3052A which I loved but it stopped feeding the paper correctly.  I tried everything on the trouble shooting pages and it just would not feed the paper.  I figured I'd done something stupid to it when it jammed up once and of course, it was not under warranty.  I had a fortune invested in the 61 cartridges, so I looked for another printer that uses them, thus the 3512.   Well....  it is doing the same thing the 3052A did when I thought it was broken and it is brand new! 

If I don't have exactly the right amount of sheets in the tray, it jams.   Even if I do get what seems to be the right thickness of sheets in the tray, it will still jam.  It either grabs the entire stack, or it takes one sheet in unevenly, so that it jams inside.  It works better with letter weight paper, but I do a large amount of printing on card stock and mailing label paper and it doesn't work at all with either of them.  I have to baby sit it every time I try to print.  I end up feeding one page at a time which jams half the time anyway. 

I'm ready to throw the darn thing out the window and look for yet a 3rd printer!

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 6 (423 Views)

Re: 3512 Paper Feed Troubles

Hi Forbesfarm,

I'm linking a troubleshooting document that addresses paper jam problems.  Click Here  It contains a lot of information and some videos on how to clear and avoid paper jams.  I recommend a thorough review of this document.  Let me know if any of the steps help.

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
Forbesfarm
Message 3 of 6 (420 Views)

Been there - done that.

It works best with when I keep the tray loaded with just the right thickness of paper.  One more or one less and it jams.  A good printer should feed the paper right down to the last sheet without jamming.   Worrying if I have the right amount of paper in the tray is a pain.

Rich1 wrote:

Hi Forbesfarm,

I'm linking a troubleshooting document that addresses paper jam problems.  Click Here  It contains a lot of information and some videos on how to clear and avoid paper jams.  I recommend a thorough review of this document.  Let me know if any of the steps help.

Good Luck !

Been there.  Done that.  All long before I came to forum looking for help.

It works best when I get exactly the right amount of paper in the feed tray.   It will print about 5 sheet then.  One more or one less and it jams.  A good printer should feed right down to the last sheet in the tray.  Worrying over how much paper is in it is a pain.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 6 (416 Views)

The steps in the document didn't cause any change, including the reset.  Is your printer plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector or battery backup?

Sometimes an additional cleaning of the rollers can help.

A semi full reset could be done.  This would clear the memory and reset the printer back to factory defaults.  If it was on a wireless network, the printer would be removed and would need to be put back on the network.  Let me know if you would like to try that and I could send the instructions to you via private post with the agreement that you would not publish the steps.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
Forbesfarm
Message 5 of 6 (413 Views)

I suppose it is worth a try although wouldn't a new printer already be set to factory default?  It's been doing this since it came out of the box.

Honor Student
Forbesfarm
Message 6 of 6 (377 Views)

I wish I could say that all the suggestions and "solutions" have helped, but I continue to struggle with this stupid printer!  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Most of the time not.  It's gotten so that all I have to do is place a stack of paper into the feed tray and the entire stack is grabbed which of course immediatley leads to a paper jam.  If that doesn't happen, then it feeds one side and not the other, which again causes a jam.   I've reset it numerous times.  Most of the time it works fine with regular paper, but I struggle daily with anything thicker.  I hesitate to call the printer junk.  It prints beatuifully IF I can get the paper into it.

At this point I have to say I probably will have to buy yet another printer, and it will not be a HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation