Question

Honor Student
juniperr
Message 1 of 26 (5,412 Views)
Accepted Solution

4x6 photo printing problem on Photosmart 6520

I was able to test print the 4x6 picture after successfully installed the Photosmart 6520 on my PC.

However, when I tried to print the photo through the photo-tray selecting 4x6 size from my PC (Windows 7), the pictures only appeared in the middle of the 4x6 regardless landscape or portrait layout. I have used the "PictureViewer and Windows Photo Viewer" to open the photo, and it made no difference.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 26 (5,379 Views)

4x6 photo printing problem on Photosmart 6520

When you are printing are you being sure that under the printer's preferences that you have selected the same options as the program(s) you are using? They have to sync in order for the printer to properly process and coordinate the specific jobs it is receiving.

Also when you say that you were able to print one successfully from the PC but then had issues from other programs, what do you mean. How were you successful the first time that was not the same in the later attempts? Did you use different programs (what was used first in that case)?

I would also recommend that you try another software, I generally point to Picasa from Google as a good photo viewing/adjusting/printings software and it is entirely free.

http://goo.gl/fGXV

Let me know how this goes!
Honor Student
juniperr
Message 3 of 26 (5,371 Views)

Re: 4x6 photo printing problem on Photosmart 6520

Thanks a lot for suggestting the Picasa. It lets me previw the picture before printing. It would be even nicer if I can print it without the border. BTW I don't know what's wrong with the Microsoft photo viewer which does nothing after I launched the priting job! As for the Apple PictureViewer it prints fine the photos shot in portait mode (which matches the paper arrangement in the tray); but for photos shot in landscape mode, they are pirnted only in the middle of the 4x6 paper. That's the problem. The question is why the test-print was perfect right after I completed the printer installation?

Honor Student
juniperr
Message 4 of 26 (5,346 Views)

So far Picasa is the only application working on my 6520. Giving up on the PictureView and MS photo viewer. BTW, I figured out the borderless printing by selecting it in the Advance tab. All is cool for now.

Top Student
Lanzaga
Message 5 of 26 (4,600 Views)

I can borderless print by selecting it on the advanced tab, but do  I have to do this each time? 

How do I set borderless as the default?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 26 (4,587 Views)

The steps to making your borderless printing as a default setting all depends on which operating system you have.  Hopefully the links below will help you.

--Changing the Default Print Settings in the Printer Software for Windows--

--Changing Print Settings in Mac OS X--

If the documents above do not answer your questions, then what operating system are you printing from? Answer that question please and I will be happy to assist.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
Lanzaga
Message 7 of 26 (4,576 Views)

I'm afraid that did not work.  Advanced tab only allows me to set defaults for the main tray, not the photo tray.

(Not only that, I have to apply for a new password each time I try to access this forum as it does not recognise the last password used)

Top Student
Lanzaga
Message 8 of 26 (4,575 Views)

Windows 8 operating system
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 9 of 26 (4,563 Views)

When you refer to the Advanced tab, where are you selecting this?  Is it after you are in a software like Word and you click print, then you adjust it there? Or are you adjusting the borderless printing in the Advanced tab from the Devices and Printers folder?

I suggest searching to get to the Devices and Printers folder and right-click on your printer icon here.  Next select Printing Preferences from the gray pop-up box.  You will see the Advanced button as well or you should at least.  Once you change it here, it should save for the next time you print.  Let me know if this, again, does not save borderless as your default.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
Lanzaga
Message 10 of 26 (4,556 Views)

I started with start- all programmes- Hp -  etc. and this led me to the HP Printer assistant page - customise your printer.

I tried again as you suggested and went from devices and printers - print preferences etc. and this led me to HP Photosmart series (network) page and again I was unable to select preferences for photo tray - only for main tray set for A4 plain paper.

Still no luck in setting a default borderless for photo tray.  Thank you for replying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation