Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi

So, my out-of-warranty 6510 has started to not print in black. I bought this in August 2012 and it has been pretty reliable.

Now it just won't print black. I've searched through these forums and I feel like one of a big community now - I am not alone with this problem.

I have done endless print head cleaning processes from the printer and my PC (until the option disappeared!). Print head alignment fails. And I've replaced the cartridge.

As it is not in warranty I took the print head out and gave it a **bleep** good clean. When it was replaced, it printed one page in black (badly), then no more.

Printing in colour if fine, except now (after numerout head cleans) most ink levels are low.

I am stupidly expecting a miracle and that an HP rep will reply and offer some sort of solution, but I think I know it's off to the dumpster. That'll make the 3rd dead HP printer in 4 years (the first 2 were replaced by the store - Costco).

At least now that my stock of cartridges has run out, I'm not tied to HP again like I was the last time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem sorted. Thanks very much for your support.

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
HP Recommended

Hi OriginalGrumps,

I completely understand your frustration and appreciate all the troubleshooting efforts you have done already. I would love to get this issue resolved for you in a timely manner, can you please let me know which Country/Region you are located in?

Once you have sent me your location, please check your inbox. I will send you a message, you can locate your inbox to the right of your Username on your User homepage.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the UK.

HP Recommended

Problem sorted. Thanks very much for your support.

HP Recommended

black ink stopped working first randomly then all together i then replaced all cartridges and the black hasen't worked except for very rare moments

HP Recommended

black ink stopped working first randomly then all together i then replaced all cartridges and the black hasen't worked except for very rare moments

HP Recommended

Hi peter153,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy: I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 6510, you are unable to print in black ink after replacing the cartridge.

I would like you to continue here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me know which Country/Region you are in as well as the product Warranty status: HP Warranty Checker

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

the color works black is usally a very faint maroon, i am in western pa. usa, the warranty is most likely expired unit was purchased 2-12-12 and installed shortly after, i do not know the any cleaning stages except for the one the printer does automaticaly 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the requested information, I have sent you a Private message on the Forums. Please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

i am running into the same exact thing, other than i changed the type of paper to glossy card and the black works.  Now, the color does not work.  i have tried all the suggestions and requirements as you have pointed out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.