7520 Printer error, no error code (5741 Views)
Intern
Astur1
Message 1 of 117 (5,741 Views)
Accepted Solution

7520 Printer error, no error code

I have a new Photosmart 7520, installed about 10 days ago.

Apparently it is working well, I mean it prints, copies, scans, sends and receives faxes (despite the fact that the fax test says that my line has a weak signal, which I doubt it since I live 300 meters away from the Telephone Exchange)...

But sometimes (five times out in 10 days) the printer screen icons start to blink and a text appears on the scrren that says:

"Printer error.

"There is a problem with the printer.

"Turn the printer off, then on.

There are no code errors, nor an explanation of what is causing that error. By simply touching the printer switch, it is not goin off, but restars by itself and all is going to normal again... until it gets the next error again.

Anyway, I proceed to switch the printer off, unplug the power supply, wait one minute, plug the power supply again, reconnect the printer to the supply cable and switch the printer on again. But the problem persists.

I would like to know what is causing this error and how to prevent it to occur it again, since it leaves the printer out of line and this is not its intended behaviour.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 117 (5,723 Views)

I will need a little more information in order to assist. Is the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet? How do you have the printer connected to the computer? The printer does not to be on a surge protector as it has a built in one. If the printer is on one that can keep it from getting the proper amount of power and one of the symptoms is error messages. If plugged directly into a wall outlet, I would then check to make sure that the printer's firmware is up to date. You can use the following link and choose the drop down selection that matches you OS for the computer and check to see if updates are available. http://goo.gl/LxFqb
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Intern
Astur1
Message 3 of 117 (5,718 Views)

Re: 7520 Printer error, no error code

Thanks for your reply.

These days I have been making some tests, but the problem still persists. The error appears approximately once every 24-48 hour period.

Yes, the printer is plugged directly to a wall oulet, not external surge protectors.

The printer is connected by a USB cable to the main desktop computer, and wiressly to the rest of devices in the house. I had assigned to it a fixed IP from my router's DHCP. Afterwards I configured it to manually to have a fixed IP address, with the same results.

I searched for new drivers, and I found a new one (the one that adds the compatibility with Windows 8) that I installed without solving the problem. My OS is Windows 7 Professional version 6.1 (compilation 7601: Service Pack 1).

Tutor
jlongii
Message 4 of 117 (5,713 Views)

I am having the exact same problem with a HP 8600 N911a and have posted about the problem yesterday but no responses.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 5 of 117 (5,704 Views)

@jlongli, I would start by checking to make sure that the printer firmware is up to date here is a link to a site where you can select your OS and look for the update, If connection is wireless, you can go to the web services icon, and select "Printer Update" and have the printer check for updates from there.

If after checking that both you and Astur1 can attempt a hard reset on the printer. What a hard reset does is it tries to restore the printer to a known working condition and clear error messages. No user settings (such as network settings) are lost with a hard reset.
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.
Intern
Astur1
Message 6 of 117 (5,701 Views)

Done. I'll let you know if the problem persists.

BTW, I have observed that sometimes the printer resets by itself, as if it was switched off and on (even it looses the Wi-Fi connection) and reconnects again. Is this a normal behaviour? Could it be that this error appears randomly (I mean, not always) after the printer tries to reset by itself?.

Thanks for your help.

Tutor
jlongii
Message 7 of 117 (5,698 Views)

Thanks.  I tried your suggestions with no success.  Just to bring you up to speed on my issue the following is from my post dated 11/13/2012 under Print Issues:

Subject:  "Office Jet Pro 8600 N911a printer failure"

I have a recurring printer failure that displays the message on the printer screen as follows:

Printer Error

Please turn Printer Off and then On

That's it-no codes or any other information.  It happens repeatedly and at totally random times.  I have had extensive contact with HP and done all of the applicable resets, a new print head assembly and most recently a whole new printer.  Just today I moved it to a different location with a different power source and a different router and about 2 hours later same thing.  Just glanced over at the printer and there it is again after less than 5 minutes.

I restart it and it will be fine for some indeterminate amount of time.  I actually only have to press the power button once as it will automatically restart with one push.

I really don't know what to do about thhis problem.

I just noticed that there is another issue.  Again, at random times I get a message on my computer that tells me that the scan to computer is currently unavailable.  I go to the printer and for the time being it is operational (NO FLASHING LIGHTS) so I try to scan something to my computer and it works.  So the error message on my computer is wrong as the Scan to Computer function is avaialbe.

Don't know if there is any relationship between the problems as I can see no correlation between the two.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 8 of 117 (5,697 Views)

Here is the document that addresses that error code for your model of printer. http://goo.gl/LcHzO

If this is a replacement product from HP and it is having the same issue as the one that was just returned, I would contact HP again as the returns either have the remainder of the original printer's warranty or 90 days, which ever is greater in the length of time. The contact number for US and Canada customer's is 800-474-6836. All other customers can find contact info here.
Intern
Astur1
Message 9 of 117 (5,683 Views)

I followed the instructions of the document you mentioned. The ink cartridges are clean, no ink leaks. I tried to remove the printhead but, after lifting the latch handle, I've found that I had to make too much force to extract it and then I stopped.

Anyway, during this whole week I've got only one errror message, it seems that the occurrence of the error is less than before (the printer is almost new, and still with the SETUP cartridges).

In one of my previous posts I have said that sometimes the printer resets by itself, as if it was switched off and on. Even I heve observed that a message appears on the screen saying: "Printer preparation occurring. Please wait..." and asked if that is a normal behaviour, because it seems to me that the error takes place when the printer tries to reset itself, but not always. Could it be possible that the error comes due to this reset routine?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 10 of 117 (5,672 Views)

@ Astur1 - If the printer is plugged directly into the wall it should not be resetting itself like that. Since the printer is so new I would call into HP Total Care and advised them of the power issue that it is having as that can be the root of the problem. Since the printer is less than a year old you can contact them and be covered under the factory warranty that comes with the printer. They can help you troubleshoot further since the printhead is stuck and it is resetting itself and have other options available to them to assist you further. The number for US and Canada customers is 800-474-6836. Customers in other countries can find there contact information at this link here.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation