Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Actually latest FW released to HP.com has fixed 79 error issues on M251. Please upgrade with the latest FW version 20140108 and let me know if any question. Thanks.

URL:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=lj-108129-5&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

HP Recommended
Too late. Already took it back to the store. Using a brother printer with zero issues. It's too bad, the HP quality was superb. Thanks for the info.
HP Recommended

I ran into this same problem with the LaserJet M401dn. I noticed this issue occured when the printer was hooked up to the PC via USB. I followed HPs steps on trying to fix this problem and needless to say, their steps weren't worth a hill of beans. The printer is working now now via these steps that I'm going to list.

1) Restart the printer with only the power cord being attached. If you're STILL getting the 79 error service, then it is most likely a firmware issue. Luckily for me it wasn't. The printer started right up as it should.

2) If your printer starts right up, attach an Ethernet cable from the printer to your router/switch/DSL or cable modem.

3) Select the Network icon on your printer screen and check to see if your printer has authenticated to the network and lists an IP address. If you're on a home network the IP address will show something like 192.168.x.xx. 

4) Once connected to the network you'll run a firmware update. Click on your Settings icon, select LaserJet Update, Check for Updates Now. Continue by selecting the update and download and install.

After the firmware installs, at this point you might be able to get the printer to work by hooking the USB cable back up to the printer. I on the other hand did  a couple other steps before hooking the printer back up.

5) I installed all of the Windows Updates (critical), updated Java

6) Uninstalled the HP printer software for the M401dn and restarted the PC

7) THIS STEP IS NOT FOR THOSE THAT AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH EDITING THE REGISTRY. If you have no knowledge of how to edit your registry, then PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT this. Have someone with knowledge do this step. I, nor HP can be held responsible for any mistakes that you make with this step. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. In the registry I searched for Packard and deleted all Keys or entries that had M401 listed. DO NOT DELETE THE KEY IF IT DOESN'T LIST M401, as there are Hewlett-Packard printer drivers that are built into the operating system and they do show up in the registry.

I ran through the registry twice searching for any sign of the printer driver being installed. Restart the computer again.

😎 Reinstall the HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401 Printer Series PCL6 Print Driver that is relevant to your PC. (Sorry, I don't know how to deal with Macs.) DON'T download the Full Software and Drivers or the one WITHOUT the installer. Don't use the disc to install the drivers either. Just download the most recent version of the software from HPs website. Install the software and attach the printer when asked to do so. Hopefully you're golden at this point just like I was!

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, I would format your hard drive and reinstall Windows and all of your software. Apparently there is something within the registry or on your computer that is keeping the printer from working. I hope this helps you all out!

HP Recommended

I have come across several of these errors in various networked environments, particularly with the Pro M401dne,  and I have been able to disconnect the network cable and the machines will go to Ready. Then I have the IT/IS admin clear the print queues (in a print server environment) or just on the work station(s) (if direct IP printing).

Then I can reconnect the printer to the network and it has fixed the problem everytime.

This is usually caused by a file sent to the printer with the wrong original size or parameters that the printer can't process, then gets stuck in the loop.

Just yesterday, I was sent out to replace a formatter for this problem, but found out the specific file being sent out was a PDF and the original size was 17 x 11. We changed some settings in the adobe pre print screen and paper and it printed properly.

I hope this helps. Bottom line - if the data being sent to the printer is not good - 79 Service Error!

HP Recommended

Had the same 79 service error yesterday on a M451nw. Removed the RJ45 network cable, cleared the local print spooler, reconnected the RJ45 cable. There was one printjob stuck in the queue that someone tried to print from the internet. This happens all the time where I work; have never had to update firmware or do anything else HP recommended in the troubleshooting manual.

HP Recommended

I have recently, just for "fun & giggles," tried reusing one of the IP addresses that had before been hosed.  It worked with no problem.  My guess is that it was either a DNS or DHCP retention matter.  Truthfully, though, I didn't bother to investigate or test any further.  To me it was simply good news that the affected IPs were not forever lost.

HP Recommended

I've bee having this problem on my P200 M251. Crashes soon after reboot. I had it hooked to my ethernet. After reading these experiences I tried pulling out the ethernet cable  and letting it connect wireless. Now it works as expected. 

HP if you're following this I'm sure we all appreciate fix suggestions, but I for one am geek enough that I'd like an explanation or what the error message means.

HP Recommended
Good day! Today btive this same issue , where I found a machine with the print queue with a documneto locking the queue and then giving me the error 79 , turn the printer cancel all print queue documents , and be happy!
Note: If you have a large computer network without a print server will have high difficulty figuring out which machine is attached to the queue !
HP Recommended

hi. same prob. i just tried most posted. no luck.

here is what got me running. went to settings.

setup menu. self diagnostics. run wireless test. printed a test from my documents.

successful. then printed the link i wanted i put on my desktop. and it printed.

succesfully printed.

good luck.

HP Recommended

The solution for me for this error was to simply unplug the ethernet cable and rely on the wireless. I suspect having both connections active at the same time was the cause.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.