Question

Student
demeyerhoeffer
Message 1 of 12 (5,043 Views)

Black ink will not print on my HP Officejet 6500 printer; Tried changing black cartridge. etc.

Black ink stopped printing on my HP Officejet 6500 printer.  Have tried replacing black ink cartridge, cleaning printer head, removing printer head, cleaning connections, and even replacing printer head and I still get no black ink when printing a document, only color inks.  Any other suggestions?

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 12 (5,022 Views)

Re: Black ink will not print on my HP Officejet 6500 printer; Tried changing black cartridge. etc.

Hey there. Does this issue still occur when you print a self test page? Here is a document that will instruct you how to print a test page and it also includes a video. 

Printing a Self-Test Report

This will let us know if it is a printer issue or an issue with the software. Let me know if you still have the issue with the black ink when you print the test page.

Best of luck!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Student
Tufster
Message 3 of 12 (4,992 Views)

Re: Black ink will not print on my HP Officejet 6500 printer; Tried changing black cartridge. etc.

Tried printing on HP Officejet 6500 printer; tried changing black catrtidge, etc. and now it doesn't print black.  I printed a test page, and all I go was 4 black outlined boxes, one with white fill, one with yellow fill, one with blue fill, and one with pink fill.

This happened the last time I changed cartridges; the first cartidge didn't work, but the second one did.  This time I went to the store and purchased a brand new cartridge, and it doesn't work. 

Please help.  Thank you.

Student
harp53
Message 4 of 12 (4,496 Views)

You can try this but I can't guarantee it.  It worked for me.

I have a wireless 6500 officejet and had moved it to a different location in the room.

I think I had it unplugged for a day or less but when it was reconnected, the black ink would

not print.  It was a new HP cartridge along with new HP color inks too.

I called support and described the situation but the guy said it was probably the print head and I could buy a new one delivered with tax etc. for 55 dolllars or so.  OR...I could swap it out with a new all-in-one delivered for something like $125 delivered etc.  When I asked him if this new recommendation took the same inks he said no which of course upset me after just buying new ones for this.

I then kept searching online until I read a post suggesting this:

1   Fill a flat bottomed bowel or container with HOT water and have cotton swaps (Q-Tips), paper towel handy

2   Remove your cartridges

3   Lift up that GRAY arm lever to the right of where the ink was

4   Lift out the frame that was holding the cartridges  (That's the print head)

5   Put a towel under it if walking so you don't spill ink and immerse it into your hot water (without towel) :smileyhappy:

6   Lift it up and down for 4-5 MINUTES BUT NO LONGER....You'll see the water fill with black ink especially

7   Remove and pat down to dry all areas with paper towel and swaps for nooks (I also hit with hair dryer but

only on top parts.  You don't want to dry out the bottom again.  Pad that part)

8   Once dry for the most part, put it back in and lower the gray flap

9   Return ink cartridges

10 Try printing now........if it still isn't working try running it through a cleaning cycle

Mine printed right off but I recall the woman saying she had to put it through some cleaning first.

THIS SAVED ME and I think what happened was that the ink in the print head got dry and clogged when I had

moved it and hadn't turned it back on right away.

Hope it works for you!

Student
krispykremekid
Message 5 of 12 (4,248 Views)

Thank you, thank you, thank you .... your instructions were easy to understand and follow.  AND, it worked!  Perfect.  We were gone for a week and everything must have dried up.  Boy there was a lot of gunk in there.  Thanks for your help

Student
JoleneGates
Message 6 of 12 (2,289 Views)

Thank you so much for saving me time and money on figuring out why my black would not print! The hot water worked like a charm. I did need to do the advanced cleaning but after that it worked!!! YAY!!

Student
N_a_N_
Message 7 of 12 (1,973 Views)

Black Ink cartridge will not print of my HP Officejet 6500 printer after changing ink cartridge.  Changed colors at the same time and they print. Help

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 8 of 12 (1,953 Views)

Hi N_a_N_,

I understand you're having some issues getting your Officejet 6500 to print black ink. I'm sorry you're having this issue but I will certainly do my best to help.

Just a few posts up on this page, harp53 suggested a printhead soak, which is a great step to try. I will repost his instructions here for you.

1   Fill a flat bottomed bowl or container with HOT water and have cotton swabs/paper towel handy

2   Remove your cartridges from the printer

3   Lift up that GRAY lever to the right of where the ink sits

4   Lift out the frame that was holding the cartridges  (That piece is the printhead)

5   Put a towel under it if walking (so you don't spill any ink) and immerse just the printhead into the hot water

6   Lift it up and down for 4-5 MINUTES BUT NO LONGER....You'll see the water fill with black ink

7   Remove the printhead and pat it down until it's dry with paper towel

8   Once dry, place it back in the printer and lower the gray lever

9   Return ink cartridges to their original positions and close up the printer then please allow any automatic service to complete before trying to print again.

If at this point the black still isn't coming out, please try running the clean printhead (go to Step five: Use an automated tool to clean the printhead) function and then evaluate the page that the printer produces.

If after these steps you still are not satisfied, I would suggest calling HP Tech Support for your area and seeing that they can do in terms of replacing/upgrading the unit for you.

Have a great day!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Student
sisunfl
Message 9 of 12 (778 Views)

Yes, that did the trick!  My black is printing now from my computer, but now I find that it is still not copying anything from my printer on the flatbed or the manual feed.  I have to scan the items and then print them from my computer to the printer.  Any suggestions for this?

Thank you for the help on part of my issue.  I am not ready to have to purchase another printer.

Honor Student
csafe4
Message 10 of 12 (219 Views)

I am having the exact same issue as above.  I soaked the print head, I replaced all the ink twice now and cleaned all.  Still no blank ink.  Is there anything else that can be done?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation