Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can a laser printer be plugged into a power strip?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Here is the issue.

A typical wall outlet is rated at 15 watts max, but you should only put about 80 percent of that amount of that on the circuit as a constant pull so 12-13 watts is the actual amount of load you would put on a single outlet. You might get an occasional brief higher load when a device like a laser printer is heating up.

Laser Printers pull a lot of current when heating the fuser, so you should gave them on a dedicated outlet whenever possible.

If you put a laser printer on a power strip then the strip should be plugged into a wall outlet and the printer should be the only thing plugged into the power strip.

Ultimately check the model of your laser printer and find the spec sheet and see how much current it draws when pulling its maximum amount, if it's 12 or 13 amps then you really should have a dedicated socket or a power strip plugged into the socket with nothing else on it.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button inder it. To thsnk a tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post. You can even click both buttons... <g>

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KKShah wrote:

Can a laser printer be plugged into a power strip?

Hi,

Give it can handle the full load of the printer and may be other device(s), yes you can. Please check its loading information (normally in amperes or watts).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Here is the issue.

A typical wall outlet is rated at 15 watts max, but you should only put about 80 percent of that amount of that on the circuit as a constant pull so 12-13 watts is the actual amount of load you would put on a single outlet. You might get an occasional brief higher load when a device like a laser printer is heating up.

Laser Printers pull a lot of current when heating the fuser, so you should gave them on a dedicated outlet whenever possible.

If you put a laser printer on a power strip then the strip should be plugged into a wall outlet and the printer should be the only thing plugged into the power strip.

Ultimately check the model of your laser printer and find the spec sheet and see how much current it draws when pulling its maximum amount, if it's 12 or 13 amps then you really should have a dedicated socket or a power strip plugged into the socket with nothing else on it.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button inder it. To thsnk a tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post. You can even click both buttons... <g>

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
For a little further reading do an internet search on fires due to overloaded circuits

I hope you won't turn into a statistic because you'll be one of those people who think so I probably won't catch anything on fire if I overload my power strip.

HP Recommended

Hi,

In some countries, the wall outlets are only 10A each. Actually in my house which is standard built, there are many double-outlet points around and many of them only 10A each (we use 240V). We also use standard safety switches all the way from power trips to each zone of the house (compulsary for zones). 

As mentioned in my first reply, please check and work out the number before connect.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
P=I x E, (Power equals Current times Voltage)

Power is measured in Watts

Current is measured in Amps

So 10 amps at 240 volts gets you 2400 watts of power.

15 amps at 120 volts gets you 1800 watts

So the 10 amp 240 volt outlet can provide more power than the 15 amp 120 volt outlet. Or another way of looking at it is a 10 amp 240V and a 20 amp 120V outlet can provide the same maximum power in watts.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.