Question

Top Student
ccass
Message 1 of 20 (2,695 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot get duplex printing to work on HP 6500A.

Windows 7 64-bit.  Worked intially, but not since. Only option in duplex printing options is Manual Duplex. Can you help?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 20 (2,689 Views)

Re: Cannot get duplex printing to work on HP 6500A.

In Advanced tab in the printing options, there should be an option when you can set the 2-Sided Printing Accessory as 'Installed' or 'Not Installed'. Can you check and confirm that this is set to 'Installed'? If it's not, then only the Manual Duplex option will be available.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
ccass
Message 3 of 20 (2,687 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not see the 2-sided printing accessory option under Advanced. The duplexer is installed on the printer.

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 4 of 20 (2,687 Views)

Hi.

As reference, this is the look to the manual.  Search for "Print On Both Sides"

Did you recently clear a jam and have to remove the duplex unit?  If you did, then check and make sure that the duplexer is properly installed.  It may be easiest to remove the duplexer and reinstall in.  Instructions are in the manual.

On the driver side, there is usually a setting for whether or not the duplexer is installed.  This may have been unset.

Start->Devices And Printers

Right Click on the driver and select Printer Properties.

Click Device Settings and then look for duplex setting.

Another thing to check is to validate the media type you are printing on.  Not all medias can run through the duplexer.  If the default media type has changed, change it back to your default media type.

Let us know how these check out and we'll keep looking at it.

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 20 (2,678 Views)

The duplexer need to be set as installed in the Printer Properties.  See the Windows 7 Duplex Printing Troubleshooting Guide here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
ccass
Message 6 of 20 (2,671 Views)

Thanks to both responders. Unfortunately, the duplexer does not show up under Installed Option. Which leaves me unable to use either solution.

Suggestions?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 20 (2,666 Views)

You may need to enable the duplexer as a user with Administrative priv.  If you go to Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the OJ 6500, select Printer Properties, Device Settings are there any options listed under Installable Options?

oj 6500 duplex.png

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
ccass
Message 8 of 20 (2,658 Views)

Bob:

There are no Options listed under Installable Options

Capture.PNG

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 9 of 20 (2,644 Views)

I installed the driver and I don't see the option to force duplex to be installed either.  I installed the E710 driver for the 6500A. 

Given that it worked for you previously and that you have verified the duplexer is properly installed and seated, have you made any changes to the driver or other drivers on your PC recently?

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Top Student
ccass
Message 10 of 20 (2,642 Views)

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled after having some trouble trying to connect to a separate networked printer. I'm pretty sure I installed the same driver the scond time around.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation