Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP 177fw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Got this printer 2 months ago and have been using the toners that came with the machine. The printouts on regular 20 lbs papers are always too green/dark (probably too much C and K) compare to what's on the screen. We use Pantone codes so we know how exactly the color should look on print. I tried calibrating it many times and the machine is on a 48 hr calibration timer. It never helped, nor the cleaning option. 

I know there is the option to adjust the print density, but I hesitate to change that manually. Is there any way to calibrate the printer?

Many thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Tripole ,

I see that you are experiencing issues with the print outs printing too dark. I would be happy to help you.

Are you using the latest download drivers or the Apple Update drivers? HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M176/M177 Series Software.

Check the driver name that is installed for the printer. Make sure it shows just the printer's name.
Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen it should show the printer's name. (Laserjet M177fw)

If the full printer name isn't listed correctly, delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.

check driver name.jpg

check driver name 2.jpg

Try and print a hardware self test on the printer to find out if it is a hardware or software issue.

Use plain paper. Go to Setup, Reports, Demo Page.

If the colors are still printing dark, calibrate the printer and follow the steps in this document to see if that will resolve the issue. Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M176n and M177fw Printer Series.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you @Gemini02

I followed the instructions from reinstalling the software/driver all the way to printing a cleaning page. Colors are still too deep, especially noticiable on skintone. It could be a limition of what you can do with a laserjet at this level. I was wondering if there is any other way to calibrate it.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi Tripole ,

The only calibration was included in the document which I had provided you with on the previous post. You can go to the section for Calibrate the product to align the colors.

Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M176n and M177fw Printer Series.

If the Demo Test page printed properly, then you would have to, unfortunately adjust the settings from the application that you are printing from.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm actually not sure if you do, but if you're comparing with what you see on the monitor, are your monitors calibrated with a sensor?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.