Question

Top Student
NeilForde
Message 1 of 7 (232 Views)
Accepted Solution

Colour problem with Photosmart 8450

I have had a Photosmart 8450 for a number of years and it has always printed perfectly.

Recently I noticed that the colours were totally wrong when printing photos on gloss paper - the overall colour is mainly yellow and it looks as if the blue ink is completely missing.

This happens when the photo tray is used for 4x6 paper and also with A4 gloss paper in the main tray.

The same photos printed on plain paper are perfect, as is the Standard test print - all colours are present.

So the only common factor is the use of gloss paper. I thought it may be the quality of the paper but it happens even with Premium HP Photo Paper.

The printer is  installed on WIndows 7 which provides the driver, so I can't even update that. Windows shows no driver problems and WIndows update has no effect.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 2 of 7 (214 Views)

Re: Colour problem with Photosmart 8450

I would take a look at the document below.  Let me know how it goes.

Print Quality

Top Student
NeilForde
Message 3 of 7 (206 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the link to the troubleshooting page.

Although I had already carried out a test print, it was only on plain paper, and it seemed to be okay.

So I tried it again on HP Photo paper expecting the worst. Surprisingly, it was identical - nothing was wrong with the areas for the black and colour cartridges (marked as 1 and 2  in figure 1 of the troubleshooting page) but was missing the areas for the left cartridge (marked as 3 in figure 1 of the troubleshooting page).

So I rechecked the cartridges:

Left: 348 Photoprint Colour

Center: 344 TriColour

Right: 339 Black

I then realised what the problem was - the left cartidge was empty. :smileyembarrassed:

I  will get a new one and hope all is then okay. Thanks again.

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 4 of 7 (201 Views)

Great glad you figured it out.

Honor Student
NickC-1
Message 5 of 7 (152 Views)

I have been using an 8450 for years, color was perfect.  Now, color background is lite green, where body parts are, traces of green.  It happens only on photo sensitive papeer.  Prints on plain paper OK..

I have full ink cartridges, makes no sense...

Also, unable to utilize 4x6 paper try, it tells me paper too small.. Use standard 4x6....

Any suggestions?

Honor Student
NickC-1
Message 6 of 7 (150 Views)

I  notice a different color cartridge number.

I bot  99-138....my original was 99-100 left slot.. middle 95-   right 94...

Is it possible incrrect cartridge?  looks like same color, but different ID

Pls help

Tnx

Honor Student
NickC-1
Message 7 of 7 (136 Views)

Can someone tell me if the cartridge 99-138 is good to use on the photosmart 8450 printer?

See my posting re discolorations...

Any help will be appreciated.

Tnx

NickC1 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation